Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Explain fishless cycle stall

I have heard that while doing a fishless cycle and your nitrites fail to come down, your cycle may have stalled and doing a 50% water change can get it going again.

Can someone explain this to me? From what I know about the nitrogen cycle, I just don't understand how the cycle can stall and why removing a big chunk of your nitrites with the water change restarts the cycle. Sounds to me like ammonia was overdosed causing a huge spike in the nitrites. Then the water change brings the levels back down to a level that you can now read and then continues coming down thus giving the illusion that the cycle was stalled and restarted. If you didn't do the water change the nitrites would have come down sooner or later and it wasn't stalled at all.

By tinkering with the cycle, don't you take a risk of not having a stable bacteria colony to handle a spike in ammonia. Shouldn't you let the nitrites come down naturally?

125gal FOWLR, 20L Sump w/LR and Skimmer, 20T Fuge w/DSB, Cheato, Pods and Algae Turf Scrubber
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes the stalk is caused by either an excess or a lack of something. Other times it is a ph issue. Either way, a large water change can help restore the balance and allow the bacteria to do their thing.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bacteria won't be affected by the water change they are not free floating they settle on surfaces and in the live rock and will stay there during water change
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
The bacteria won't be affected by the water change they are not free floating they settle on surfaces and in the live rock and will stay there during water change
You are correct. I wasn't meaning removing the bacteria. I was referencing removing the nitrite which is the food to build the second stage of the bacteria colony.

125gal FOWLR, 20L Sump w/LR and Skimmer, 20T Fuge w/DSB, Cheato, Pods and Algae Turf Scrubber
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
Sometimes the stalk is caused by either an excess or a lack of something. Other times it is a ph issue. Either way, a large water change can help restore the balance and allow the bacteria to do their thing.
So a condition that has changed that is not conducive to bacteria growth? That could make sense but I need to investigate that a little more.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like all living things, the bacteria have requirements. If they aren't met, they can't do their thing. We tend to think of the bacteria as nothing more than filtration, but the cycle is an interesting biology lesson. Lol

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com