F/O filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, just picked up 44gal tank and am wondering about filtration. I'd like to rely on a Red Sea Prism protein skimmer w/media basket, (rated to handle 100gal) for mechanical and bio filtration. (+seperate chem filtration unit with 350gal/hr. water pump. Is this enough? or do I need a canester as well? This will be an F/O tank.

I highly recommend that you put live rock in your tank if you have not done so. With live rock, there is no need for a canister filter as live rock offers the best biological filtration you can get. Also, you could add a sump to your system. They are usually tanks or rubbermaid containers put under the tank stand and are used to hide equipment such as heaters, protein skimmers,etc. and to make your aquarium more stable because of the extra water it can hold. You could also put live rock rubble in it to make the bacteria population even higher.

And try doing searches about this topic as it has been discussed many times before.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom