Feather Duster Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineEddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I guys, I would love to get a feather duster but am not really sure how to look after them. I can't find any good websites or anything. If anyone knows about them could they please explain to me or send me a link.
Thanks in advance, Eddy :)

It's easy. Just make sure your water levels are good, put it in the sand, and make sure you don't have anyone that is going to pick at it. It'll eat off the water column and be fine. Very easy to care for.

Hate to sound stupid but what is the water column :S

Water column just means the water movement in your system. Feather dusters are filter feeders, feeding on microorganisms that are suspended in the water. They capture by filtering and feed on what is captured with their "feathers."

As stated, care is easy in a mature tank. They can be placed in the sandbed or in a crevice in the rockwork as well.

Also, if they get very stressed they will throw their feather out. It'll grow back so don't get rid of it lol.

Haha :D
Do you just acclimate them like a normal fish?
If so how long did you people do it for?

MarineEddy said:
Haha :D
Do you just acclimate them like a normal fish?
If so how long did you people do it for?

Like inverts. Float to temp, then place them.

Kio707 said:
Like inverts. Float to temp, then place them.

I disagree! I drip acclimate EVERYTHING, fish, inverts, coral etc for at least 2 hours!

davePM said:
I disagree! I drip acclimate EVERYTHING, fish, inverts, coral etc for at least 2 hours!

Everyone has their own method. But I've had no issues temp floating most inverts. Clams, stars, and nems I drip. It's all about personal preference. Davepm's way will work just as well.

1) Do you think any of these fish will pick on it: Oc. Clown, Royal Gramma, Bangaii Cardinal, Blue/Green Chromis
2) Do you just leave them on the sand or glue them down to the sand or a rock?

MarineEddy said:
1) Do you think any of these fish will pick on it: Oc. Clown, Royal Gramma, Bangaii Cardinal, Blue/Green Chromis
2) Do you just leave them on the sand or glue them down to the sand or a rock?

Mine is between two rocks. Sand is fine too. Shouldn't have to glue them. And as far as fish, u should be good.

Did you balance it there or cram it in. Also would you have to glue it to a single rock or not?
P.s Your tank is really nice, I hope one day my tank ends up like that! :)

I just wedged it in between the rocks. You can just bury it in the sand. And thank you. Your tank will with patients. I made a lot of mistakes before I finally figured it all out.

Be careful with that my friend. If you buy online, there are a number of vendors who will not guarantee any coral if you drip acclimate. Personally, the only thing I drip acclimate is fish and some invertes. Everything else gets temperature acclimation, then into the tank, except corals which get 30 seconds of air time between temp acclimation and tank in order to allow them to slime up.

Did you balance it there or cram it in. Also would you have to glue it to a single rock or not?
P.s Your tank is really nice, I hope one day my tank ends up like that! :)

I've also used the aquarium epoxy in order to fix them into a specific spot.

Wy Renegade said:
Be careful with that my friend. If you buy online, there are a number of vendors who will not guarantee any coral if you drip acclimate. Personally, the only thing I drip acclimate is fish and some invertes. Everything else gets temperature acclimation, then into the tank, except corals which get 30 seconds of air time between temp acclimation and tank in order to allow them to slime up.

I don't normally order on line. But all that I have, I totally agree on dripping. I go as far as taking pics of each step. From opening the package, to putting in tank.

Wy Renegade said:

I didn't know that! Thanks! I was always led to believe everything should be drip acclimated, inverts and fish made sense, never really thought about doing anything different with the corals!

Back
Top Bottom