Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Masterplan75 Send a message via MSN to Masterplan75 Send a message via Yahoo to Masterplan75
Feather Starfish?

i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this beautiful starfish.. i have only seen 2 one at a local pet store and another one that my friend has bought. i dont plan on getting one anytime soon. not until i understand a lot more about my tank and stuff. but was just curious as to if anyone might know how to feed one of these? i have heard that they are almost impossible to keep alive longer than 7 months.. my friends has been alive 3 months now and the guy i visited at the store was actually in a magazine for having the longest living one which i think was about 8 months. but nobody seems to know how to feed it or what it eats... anyways just curious.. any information would be cool thanks =)

L

Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It eats microscopic plankton.
Crinoid Feather Sea Star (Himerometra sp.)

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Masterplan75 Send a message via MSN to Masterplan75 Send a message via Yahoo to Masterplan75
has anyone here tried to raise or care for one of these types of starfish?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan75 View Post
i have heard that they are almost impossible to keep alive longer than 7 months.. my friends has been alive 3 months now and the guy i visited at the store was actually in a magazine for having the longest living one which i think was about 8 months. but nobody seems to know how to feed it or what it eats...
*sighs*

I'm going to get on my soapbox for a just a minute.

Collecting of this starfish should stop. Why? Because for the one that is surviving (for now) at your fish store, I'm guessing around 200 or 300 died. They are being mass collected by people and only a very few make it to captivity, and even then, they only live for a few days, weeks, or months. This fact alone, in my opinion, is enough to not have one in my tank. In the wild, they live for years and years.

They are also a very deep water species, they simply aren't adapt to living at the light levels, pressures, and low food environments that people put them in.

I would not encourage more collection of these beautiful creatures by buying one, but that is just my opinion.

Ok, stepping off the soapbox.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Very well said Lindsay.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #6

thanks for the opinion and i do agree if something isnt made to live in a tank then it shoudlnt be kept... if we want to see them we should get a scuba set and go visit them in their natural enviroment... i didnt mean to step on anyone's toes as i didnt know that they were dying in masses like you spoke..

sorry =\
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
No problem.

You weren't stepping on toes, I just hate when stores try and sell them to people without explaining all the facts about the species. If you are interested, do a good search. There are a lot of good articles about collection this the feather and basket starfish that are quite eye opening.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 AM   #8

thanks... will do =).. i've also heard that mandarin gobies are on the red list =\ and shouldnt be bought as well.. would you by chance know if this is true also?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan75 View Post
thanks... will do =).. i've also heard that mandarin gobies are on the red list =\ and shouldnt be bought as well.. would you by chance know if this is true also?
In general, yes. Mandarin gobies are a challenging species, demanding large, well-established tanks with live rock and live sand. The species, which exists in harems in nature, eats only micro-crustaceans, like copepods. One will quickly denude the average reef tank of suitable food for it, then starve to death. Only one in a hundred MAY learn to eat prepared foods, but its not worth the risk.
The key to keeping Mandarin gobies is to use multiple refugiums with the tank to continually replace their food source. I keep a group of eight (one male, seven females) in a large reef tank (a 350). The sump is a 90-gallon refugium, and there are four hang-on models on the back. That group of gobies has been with me a bit over 3 years. Funny little guys.
Now if someone could just figure out how to captive breed Moorish Idols. . .
Martin Moe, can you hear me?

Dave
Old 04-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #10

wow in due time i can only hope to have a tank that big!! mandarins i think are very pretty... but i am far from trying to attempt to take care of one.. as of now i'm just sticking with the easy to take care of hardy / resilient fish lol.. thanks for the info Dave66

Tags
eat, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com