Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Feeding

One of my LFS has said I should be feeding my tank once a day twice if I have a tang. Then another has said twice a week is fine. Does anyone have any info into which one i should be listening to?

Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

To be honest it really depends on your set up and livestock. I feed a couple times a day, but very small amounts. I'm pretty heavily stocked but have an oversized skimmer, gfo, biopellets, and a five with chaeto.

It's really up to you. You can try feeding smaller portions everyday and see how your water parameters change. Adjust as necessary

Old 07-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I feed my tank every other day and on the off days I feed my tangs some dried seaweed. Been doing that for 15+ yrs now.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I feed my tank every other day and on the off days I feed my tangs some dried seaweed. Been doing that for 15+ yrs now.
Thanks guys and mel that's what I've been doing myself and if its worked for you for 15 years seems like the way ill continue too. Cheers.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have found you have to research, ask questions, sort out the opposing positions, then decide what sounds right to you. It is hard because there are few clear answers to anything having to do with this hobby.

I personally ended up feeding every other day. When I do more than that I get antsy about too much waste in the water. Some people would feel like they are starving their fish if they do that, but maybe they do more water changes to clear the water.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodrough View Post
I have found you have to research, ask questions, sort out the opposing positions, then decide what sounds right to you. It is hard because there are few clear answers to anything having to do with this hobby.

I personally ended up feeding every other day. When I do more than that I get antsy about too much waste in the water. Some people would feel like they are starving their fish if they do that, but maybe they do more water changes to clear the water.
Would it matter if I fed once a day rather than once every other day?
Old 07-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It depends how much you are feeding. Most of the people in this hobby grossly overfeed their tanks. You'll see most of them posting threads about nuisance algae and other problems as a result.
Tangs do not need to be fed twice a day. I fed a tank I maintained with multiple tangs and foxface twice a week for a couple years and the fish showed no signs of malnutrition or aggression. As a matter of fact, the sailfin had HLLE and it has since been arrested. This would not happen if I was depriving it.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
It depends how much you are feeding. Most of the people in this hobby grossly overfeed their tanks. You'll see most of them posting threads about nuisance algae and other problems as a result.
Tangs do not need to be fed twice a day. I fed a tank I maintained with multiple tangs and foxface twice a week for a couple years and the fish showed no signs of malnutrition or aggression. As a matter of fact, the sailfin had HLLE and it has since been arrested. This would not happen if I was depriving it.
How much food every other day? And what do you recommend me feeding them
Old 07-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I recommend a varied diet. A mixture of meaty foods( fresh fish and shrimp from the supermarket or frozen from the LFS), flake, nori...
As far as how much, it depends on the amount and size of the fish. When I add some food to the tank, it takes the fish 20-30 seconds to eat it, except for the nori of course. That's attached to a clip on the glass and they tug on that for about a minute or so. I also give nori about every other day to my home system.
I also do large, weekly, water changes plus skim and have a refugium.

The tank I spoke of that I fed twice a week also had all of this going for it as well, but I could only get there 2 times a week so nori was added then too.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I recommend a varied diet. A mixture of meaty foods( fresh fish and shrimp from the supermarket or frozen from the LFS), flake, nori...
As far as how much, it depends on the amount and size of the fish. When I add some food to the tank, it takes the fish 20-30 seconds to eat it, except for the nori of course. That's attached to a clip on the glass and they tug on that for about a minute or so. I also give nori about every other day to my home system.
I also do large, weekly, water changes plus skim and have a refugium.

The tank I spoke of that I fed twice a week also had all of this going for it as well, but I could only get there 2 times a week so nori was added then too.
I was thinking to get freeze dried brine... Do most fish eat that?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com