Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to know how many times should i feed my fish. I do a water change once a month . I have about 18 fish and 150 gal. I have a huge skimmer that is used for a 280 gal. What do you guy think ?

Daily, but it's kind of something you just have to get a feel for. If you see your nitrates/phosphates rising you know you are feeding too much.

I just did a water change a week ago and my nitrates were perfect . I feed 3 cubes a day and now my nitrates are really high!!!!! Can I get a phosphate reactor and put nitrate media in it . I already have one for phosphate .

I would feed every other day for a while. Anthias won't just vanish if they skip a meal or two. You will know they are lacking long before they die.
That said, I think you have too many fish in that tank, no matter what size skimmer. The nitrate battle is going to be ongoing IMO.

Can I put a phosphate reactor and put nitrate media?

I agree with every other day. Fish don't need food every day and the more you put in, the more waste produced.

I use to feed only a few times a week, now I feed a smaller amount daily. Fish look a lot better and seem much calmer. I feed lettuce or nori to the herbivores every day. A small amount of protein as well. But I have an aggressive filtration system so I don't worry about organic build ups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom