feeding a lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joe&rae

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a lion that is roughly 6" that i just got and i was wandering how much and often to feed him.. i fed him 6, 3/4in roses today and his belly looked huge!!!!

ill feed mine 3-4 uncooked shrimp and 2 silversides...every other day..

keep him off freshwater fish.. its not really the best thing for them.

ok thanks but here is another question, he is by himself right now in a 110gal and he never sees frozen food before it hits the bottom and then he wont eat it!! he will eat frozen food if he sees it in time to catch it! i there a trick to get him to eat it!

id suggest getting tongs and try to feed him that way... if it doesnt appear to be alive at first.. he wont be interested in the catch... mine will snap it right out of my hand nowadays.. good luck on getting him on frozen.. i personally never had an issue with mine rejecting food...of any kind.

ok, like i said he is eating it just takes him a while to "catch" the frozen. but he dose not hesitate to eat it if he sees it but thanks for the advice!! i am hoping that when i get another one and me eels that he may be a little more alert and "catch" the food!

eels will fight for the food... you will more than likely have to target feed him in order to feed him at all... good luck on that.

Do not hand feed. If the animal is not willing to eat you can feed enriched ghost shrimp until weened. Use clear rigid tubing as a feeding stick. 2-3 times per week is plenty and feed until you see a small bulge on the side of their stomach/body. What lionfish do you have? Some lionfish prefer more crustaceans in their diet than others, but for a general list I would try feeding in frozen (thawed) form: silversides, capelin, shrimp, crab, squid, and other marine fish. You may also need to add a vitamin supplement once weekly such as selco and/or Thiamine E.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom