Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Feeding and hopig for corals

I guys I'm pretty new at this game and I really want to take care of my beauty's, I've unfortunately lost a few fish in the beginning months and want some advice
I have a 125L tank 15kgs live rock a fluval 300 filter v2 micro skimmer an uv steriliser, power head, and lots of ozone bubbles,

My live stock WAS ! Queen angel (juvenile returned to the shop for being to much of a bully) dog faced puffer( not the best of pals returned to the shop for eating -->) bicolored goat ( got eaten by the dogface after 2 days) and 4 tank bread clowns ( suspected eaten by the dogface)
That was what I had I think to many predators and not enough room,

So now I have a blue throat trigger( rather shy at times) a regal tang, a cleaner wrasse, white watchman gobie with blue spots on its cheek( I think it's a gobie) a leapoard watchman gobie, 2 shrimp( both just shed for the second time one has lots of eggs in its belly) 5 turbo snails( 3 left thanks to the ever hungry dogface now gone!!),
3 hermit crabs, and 1 emerald green crab, I know it sounds a lot but the tank is so inactive when I'm around it, if I sit back they come out to play,
So my question is, how much should I be feeding them
My current routine is check nitrite is low
If not water change,
Then I put a small amount of garlic flake and some prima(they love the prima) in the morning
Afternoon I'll give them a cube of misis shrimp, and it all disappears so quick,

I fear I'm under feeding them but I have a green hair Algie bloom every 2 or 3 days, ok I know I have my tank in a conservatory ( so it is very exposed to sunlight) I use phosban in the filter ( started yesterday with that) and my skimmer fills up once a day ( its tiny though) ,

Any help or advice would be so much appreciated because I want to keep them happy and also get some corrals in, thanks

Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Oh and this is a weeks worth of data using my new SENEYE device. It's fantastic
you. An see the spike from a water change
If any one is interested in one let me know!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1142166440.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	81981   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3545748508.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	81982  

Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I'm sorry to say it but your tank is waay over stocked. I'd get rid of the tang and trigger for starters. Secondly you shouldn't have any nitrites, third, you probably hair algae because of nitrites, and high nitrates so cutting back light schedule and getting rid of the tang and trigger will help. Fourth thing is don't add any other fish for a few weeks. Give your current fish time and they will come out whether you're there or not. It's good you asked for help so I know you want to learn and correct the problems which is great. So to conclude, don't add anything to the tank and test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. All should be zero except for nitrate which should be under 20. Keep doing water changes and wait it out for a few weeks. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #4

I don't think it's over stocked I have 2 med sized fish and 3 tiny ones , and a clean up crew?! I'll post a pic to show you

This is the tank before I took the angel
Back
My free ammonia is 6.01 ppm that's nh4
Ph 8.3
Temp 25c
Ammonia 0.001 ppm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4215864489.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	81988  
Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

That regal tang will grow to be almost the length of your tank. The trigger will grow to be about half the length of your tank. Your tank shouldn't have a fish larger than than 4-5" in a 125l/ 34g tank. Plus they have larger bioloads which your bacteria can't keep up with.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

The tank is like 5ft long and 2 ft back and 3 ft tall
Sorry I did say 125L when I meant 250L oops!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyawad
The tank is like 5ft long and 2 ft back and 3 ft tall
A tank that big is 1000l
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #8

Not exact measurements lol it does hold 250 Li don't mean to sound like a pain in the but it's just that it's 2am here I'll get specifics in the morni hand more up to date pics of my livestock and things
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes it doesn't matter the size of fish but the bio load they are placing on the tank. The bio load is high because the tang and the trigger. Tangs are pooping machines and triggers are very very messy eaters.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #10

Yeah the trigger does seem to eat crunch spew out a fine dust of food and eat it back up lol, do you really think I have too much in there?

Tags
coral, corals, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com