Feeding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisamweston

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some of my new fish are still hiding, should I put the food near where they are hiding or only feed in the front of the tank to encourage them to come out? Thanks

No they will come out if they are hungry. I wouldn't be putting food in just make them come out, over feeding will lead to all sorts of problems! What kind of food are you feeding? Remember to feed a varied diet only very small amounts once every couple of days. What kind of fish are they? Most marine fish take a couple of days to get acclimatised to their new environment so don't worry too much just yet.

I have 4 clowns, 2 damsels, 1 gramma, 1 Foxface and 3 cleaner shrimp in a 220 gallon tank. I have marine flakes, frozen pellets and was told to give romaine lettuce/seaweed for the Foxface. Flakes twice a day, only what they can eat in 1 minute and pellets 2-3 times per week. The Foxface hasn't touched the romaine yet but I just got him yesterday. He is starting to swim around if he thinks no one is in the room. The gramma hides behind the LR and only darts out for food particles. And the cleaner shrimp won't leave the power head, but the fish don't like going near it, should I try to soho them off it and into the LR?

Just leave them be. Don't feed flake food twice a day - that's asking for algae problems. Are the fish eating? (when you feed) try different types of food, frozen mysis or brine shrimp. I feed one cube ever second day - trust me its enough food! The last thing you want in a 220 is having to perform multiple large water changes to bring nitrates down :) the foxface is a shy fish anyway, hopefully in time he will get used to you. Give all your new inhabitants a few days to settle in and then tell us what they are doing...

Once I got my foxface he would hide ASAP as soon as anyone got near the tank. Now after having him for almost a year he only hides at night to rest & even feeds seaweed out of my hand at the top of the tank.

the foxface is spending more time out and is eating the seaweed, the cleaner fish have moved off the powerhead into a cave together but i havent seen them clean anyone, i read that the clowns dont really stand for the cleaning, so maybe when i get some more bigger fish. I have a question re feeding and lights, do i only feed them when the daylights are on? that is when the most of them are out and about.

I only feed mine during lights on as most my fish kinda hide / go inactive when lights are off.

Back
Top Bottom