feeding Percula Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you recommend I feed my Percula Clownfish? I've put in flake food and he'll eat some of it but mostly spits it out.

Flake isn't the best option for SW fish. Try getting some pellet food. ORA Glo is good or you can use Formula One pellet. If the fish is small make sure to get the small pellet food.

whats the best form for mysis? frozen or freeze dried and BUMP michaels question

(my O clowns do the same thing with flake so i use formula one pellets too)

that question i have the answer to... frozen has a small chance of having bacteria in it that could potentially have stuff your fish dont need to have... on the other note.. there is nothing better for your fish than frozen.. for the simple fact that it still retains its nutrition. were as freeze dried foods lose nutrience during the curing process.

I thought Mysis was more of a desert than a meal?

Just plain brine is what you are talking about. Mysis is good for them. If you do feed brine which I do occasionally it needs to be vitamin fortified brine. As mentioned earlier variety is the key.

I feed mine a combo ( alternate every few days) of various freeze dried, some flake and pellet.

Word of caution, if you ever feed seaweed ( especially if you have tangs) dont get the typical clownfish shaped clip. My larger clownfish attacks it! Shes so aggressive she now nips my hands when I take it in / out of the tank. Crazy thing. New nickname: jaws! Thank goodness they dont have teeth ;)

They don't exactly gum their food ;) I've had clownfish, even ocellaris, leave very minute indentions in my skin. Feed meaty items such as mysis (P.E. or San Francisco Brand) and minced fish, squid tentacles, clam (Ocean Nutrition), fish/urchin roe, shrimp, Cyclop-eeze, etc. This can be mixed with spirulina, nori, and vitimin supplements.

Back
Top Bottom