Feeding Portions - Need Advice Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
A feeding portion question please ...

I have been feeding our fish every day but as of yesterday have switched to an every other day feeding schedule.

We have four fish - a pair of Clowns, a Royal Gramma and a Yellow Angel. When it comes to food I have been trying to provide a variety. So my question is - when I feed pellets the portion I usually feed is a single layer in the palm of my hand about the size of a dime ... and when I feed frozen such as Mysis Shrimp I have been feeding a 1/3rd of a cube.

Can I please get some feedback if this is about right, way to much for 4 fish, or maybe even underfeeding since I have gone to an every other day feeding schedule. I also feed other foods but want to get a feel for whether I am doing right with the pellets and frozen foods.

The general rule for fish is no more than what they can eat in 2 minutes. Since I have a Reef Tank I feed extra for corals but since your FOWLR I would go with that. :) But I'm no expert. Just my 2 cents.

I feed a whole cube every other day and it is easily eaten within 2 minutes. I have a yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 decorator goby, a lawnmower blennie, and a flame angel, plus 2 cleaner shrimp.

Keep in mind that quality is more important then quantity. Using high quality foods with some dietary suppliments like Selcon or Zoe will allow the fish to get all the nutrients they require in less food. Less food = less waste.

What type of food are your currently feeding?

Keep in mind that quality is more important then quantity. Using high quality foods with some dietary suppliments like Selcon or Zoe will allow the fish to get all the nutrients they require in less food. Less food = less waste.

What type of food are your currently feeding?

Right now the variety I am offering includes ... ORA-Glo pellets, Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp and Green Marine Algae with garlic extract.

Every other day I also feed two cap-fulls of PhycoPure for our Feather Dusters.

Back
Top Bottom