Feeding pufferfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blakskall

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a saddle pufferfish and i was wondering, how many times a day should i feed it, ive heard that these guys eat alot, i usually feed my fish everyother day, with a mix of brine shrimp, mysis, and emerald entree

I have a dogface and a Blue-Spotted Toby. I feed all my fish a small amount twice a day. My dogface is growing like a weed.

I think im going to feed it every other day, twice a day, i know the puffer eats alot but i have to be mindful of my other fish who dont eat alot lol

Another question, now do u feed ur puffer clams ,scallops and fish meat chopped up? Or just things like krill, mysis, and brine shrimp? Ive heard that u should feed puffers hard shell items cas of there teeth.. My lfs said i would be fine with mysis and brine shrimp

How big is your puff?
What is the temp in your tank?
Is your puff skinny before feeding?

Any pics? Its difficult to keep these puffs alive in captivity. Most die within a year.

Tank temp is 77, puffer is nice and plump, about 2 inches prolly

Attachments

• image-568352400.jpg
    image-568352400.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 104
Oh nevermind. I thought you meant another type of saddle puffer.

Feed your little dude crustaceans. Clams and scallops is a good idea. Free pest snails from your LFS is just as good.

Yeah mines the valetini one, how should i feed it clams? On the half shell?

You could rip off one half of the shell and leave the half with the meat.

Or you could pry the clam slightly open, and let your puff figure out how to get to the meat. Lots of grinding of his teeth will occur ;) Eventually he will give up if he can't get to the meat. Then you can pry it open for him.

Thank u very much, just making sure im doing it right lol dont want its teeth to grow to much, i thought it was kind of weird that the guy at my lfs said it didnt need krill or anything lik that..

Just noticed something weird and didnt want to make a new thread... I turned on my room light and noticed that my puffer is latched on to the corner of my tank... Is this how he sleeps?

Back
Top Bottom