Feeding question???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a Panther Grooper about 6in long, a sail fin tang about 4in, a pink spot goby 6in, and a Bursa trigger about 4in I have been feed freeze dried krill every 2-3 days for the grooper and trigger and frozen srimp and frozen brine for the other guys. I was just wondering what else I could give or If I should just so they have a varitety of food. Any suggestions??? :confused:

The grouper should be fed 2-3 times/week with either shrimp, squid (may wean off this), and particularly non-fatty fish such as silversides, capelin, etc. I'd be surprised if one day you didn't have to skip its meal because of it consuming your goby : P As for the other fish, a general mash of nori and frozen krill, mysis, clams, cyclop-eeze, a vitamin supplement, etc will blend well and some of the previously mentioned fish can be mixed in as well. Lots of variety available when making a diet mash. I'd use the brine shrimp as a treat since they aren't very nutritious unless gut-loaded.

Here is just one variation I use depending on the day:

Cyclop-eeze: 1 tspn. (2.5g)
Krill: 2 tblspn. (24.5g)
Nori: 2 sheets (6.0g)
Selco: 25 drops
Silversides: 30, definned/blenderized (100.0g)
Spectrum Pellets: 1 tspn. (2.7g)

Mind you this is to sustain quite few large tanks if to feed at once, but the beauty behind mashes are that they can be frozen and a variety of foods can be used or switched depending on the day. My food mashes' main courses will switch daily along with the use of mysis, krill, selco, spirulina, clams, etc :) Like I said, just one of many options :D

nice, someone was telling me that I could feed stuff from the seafood section at the supermarket..... I dont eat seafood so I wouldnt know what to even get would you?

From the seafood sections I would just purchase shrimp in raw form; although, asian markets have a large variety of saltwater food items in raw and untreated forms. Stay away from 'farmed animals'. I'm sure some asian markets have silversides, capelin and other non-fatty fish, but these can also be purchased through lfs' and seafood venues. I personally would not have the time nor make the effort to sit and shuck clams so purchasing from an lfs' makes for an easy option along with mysis, krill, spirulina, etc. There are many online vendors that sell this type of food fare as well if you perform some searches in a 'search engine." At work we get our nori from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables. If you have the money to purchase organic, all the better imo. What you want to stay away from are food stocks that use preservatives or at least a heavy concentration of.

okay we only have 1 lsf and they are ok I guess so I do so more searching and see where I can get some of the other things you suggest thanks for all your help

Hey Kristy, I'm like you, I don't eat seafood either. But I went yesterday and made my own seafood medley for my tank. I bought octopus, scallops, squid, cuttlefish, some sardines and shrimp, and put it all in a food processor. I then put the mixture into ziplock freezer bags (it made 4) and laid them flat. So now I have my own food mixture from a variety of sources, and it was cheaper!

I tried giving some to my tank inhabitants and they loved it!

Back
Top Bottom