Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Feeding Question

I have a question about whether I am feeding enough. I have a Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Midas Blenny and 4 Chromis. I feed them a half a cube of sprolina or Brine twice a day, and a 1" strip of seaweed every other day. I have heard about feeding too much if they don't eat it all in about 5 minutes, but my fish eat it in about 30 seconds and look for more, should I feed them more? I don't want my amonia to start to rise.

Thanks
Scott

Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #2

Feed them well and feed them more types of food. Ideally get them on a high quality pellet, that is the best way to give them a truly complete and balanced diet. I recommend trying to get them on New Life Spectrum Thera+A.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you are overfeeding by a bit. Feeding your fish every other day is fine. They will always act starving so don't worry about that. You could also add mysis shrimp and blood worms to switch up that brine. Brine is not very nutritious for the fish at all.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh i see you have chromis in there sorry i missed that. Feed them the amount you are now but switch that brine up for sure.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the info, along with the brine I feed spirulina (combo of mysis and brine) I also use vitamins and garlic extreme with the food. Should I feed 1/2 cube twice a day or a full cube once a day? It seems my Midas gets the short end of the deal because he is in his hole and by the time he sees the food it is almost all gone.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

you have to target feed fish like that, i have a scooter blenny and i use a turkey baster to feed my fish and make sure all of them get a piece of the food, little more work but ensures you that they are all getting fed the proper ammount also the turkey basters good cause then you can limit how much food thats just floating around and just give a little at a time.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could try feeding a whole cube everyother day, like alternate from half a cube twice a day to a whole cube once a day. I think everyone will still be happy with that schedual.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Add a ˝ sheet of nori every day or every other day. As for feeding, fish like like all living things live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. I feed my tank 2x/week, as much as they eat in about 5 minutes. I have the PS and main pump off but leave the PHs running so they have to catch their food.

Overfeeding is probably the number 1 cause of fish deaths. It leads to algae outbreaks and poor water parameters.

I mainly use Rod's Food (frozen Original) as that feeds everything in my tank and has a nice variety in it.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #9

Algae outbreaks and low water quality are both caused by inadequate water changes for the bioload (fish+food). You cannot add fish or feed more without adjusting your water change schedule to match it.

I think poor diet kills most of our fish, not overfeeding. It also depends on how you define overfeeding. Long term poor nutrition is what will damage the internal organs, cause fatty deposit disease, etc., not just overfeeding.

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com