Feeding Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lecithin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to buy two peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp for my 50g soon. How do you go about feeding them? I've read a few sites that tell me what to feed them, but how do I get it from me to them?

just feed them mysis... whatever the fish dont eat that you put in the tank the shrimp will clean up and eat.. youll see them eat it, they get pretty active during feeding.. nothing special to feed them really

they are scavengers. They will be part of your clean up crew so you wont have to really feed just them. As long as you feed your fish, they will eat. If they are really hungry they will swim/float to the top and grab some food that you put in.

I use sinking pellets. I feed them in the morning the same time each day. Each morning they are there waiting on the same rock at the top to be fed. Took about 3 weeks for them to lean where to wait. At first they didn't eat, now they eat so much you would be amazed! I choose to manually feed them using a small squirt bottle with an extention tube because the fish grab the food before it gets to them and it's fun to watch them attack the food.

Updated. WOW. I just looked at the shrimp. I feed them well. After a molt one shrimp really grew!!! Power feeding makes them grow fast! I probably should reduce their food a bit.

Last edited:
I have never target fed my shrimp. As stated earlier they are scavangers. Let them do their job as a janitor and clean your tank.

Back
Top Bottom