Feeding Times?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyami

Aquarium Advice Regular
This has been a burning question of mine since I started tooling around with fish.

I try to read up as much as possible on everything now before I do something although, feeding...well I have been feeding the fish.

But I was most curious about feeding times, and frequency?

How often do you feed and at what times?

For instance I have a Yellow Tang and a small handfull of damsels. Most of the things I have read say feed 2-3 times daily in small quantities.

What does everyone do for feeding and what times?

I feed when I get home. I feed every other day and sometimes even skip an extra day. My fish are doing great. You may want to add some nori for the tang (I think once or twice a week).

I do the nori 2-3 times per week already. I learned that from another forum after I noticed that the mysis wasn't keeping the weight on for him.

I added the nori a few times per week and it does great. The tang loves it. as for the rest of them I have been feeding once per day in the morning after the light has been on for about an hour.

I feed the tank every other day and on the off days I put a sheet of seaweed selects in their for the tangs.

I feed my fish every other day as well. Alot of books and LFS give BAD advice. Then want to criticize your water quality when you bring it in to get tested. Makes me so mad. (My store doesnt do that. . . ;) )

Depends on the rate of consumption. There is nothing wrong with feeding everyday or twice/day as long as the food is consumed, but every other day is fine as well :)

Fish, like most animals do best on a 30% restricted caloric intake (if only I could do that). I feed the tank every 3 - 3 days and add a 1/4 sheet of nori on the between days for those that need it.

Fish are opportunistic feeders, meaning if there's food, they'll eat it. Don't let them convince you that they're hungry, making you feed too often.

LOL. Mine follow me from one end of the tank to other waiting to be fed EVERY time I was past it. Little beggers! You would think they would know they only get fed on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I'm thinging about putting a calendar in the tank with the feeding dates circled for them. ;)

When my snowflake eel comes out begging for food, about every 3 days. I'll do a carnivore feeding of shrimp and/or silver sides, clams, mussels or what fish I'm having for dinner. In between they get nori roll with mixed greens and Zoe. Once a day a small sprinkle of pellets. When I notice my pot belley Pink Tail Trigger getting too round I'll stop the pellets for a week and cut back on the meats.

Sounds like a pretty wide range of answers. Would every one agree then that it is more important to be consistant than how often feeding is done?

Actually it seems pretty consistent to feed every 2 -3 days with nori in between for tangs and other algae eaters.

Innovator is also correct that there is nothing wrong with feeeding every day as long as it is consumed and not becoming detritus. The consensus though is once every other day.

Everyone has thier own way of doing things. I feed once a day, sometimes skipping a day here and there. Personally, I let the fozen blocks melt in a cup right before feeding and use a turkey baster to put in a little at a time just to be sure everything gets eaten. This eliminates some of the waste. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom