Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question feeding zebra lionfish

heylo everyone.

i just got a dwarf zebra lionfish from doctor fosters and smith a few days ago.

just to keep it alive and healthy i am feeding it live feeder guppies for now, but i have also been trying hard to get it to eat prepared food like silversides and krill. however, i put a dozen guppies in the tank and he only ate two of them. today when i put a half dozen in he is not even budging from the rock he is perched on. i'd really like to try ghost shrimp but it seems my local shops only have unhealthy ghost shrimp.

i have a transparent feeding stick and i have been trying to feed it silversides and krill. i also am using seachems garlic guard to entice it's appetite and it seems to have no interest.

anyone have any recommendations on what to feed and how to feed a dwarf lion? i've had them before...my last one i just fed guppies to and it loved them. really would like to try to get him some non living food though.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve heard you dont want to feed it live FW fish. I cant remember why but I heard it before.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You're looking for this article:

Live Fish As Food - Nutritional Value & Concerns - MonsterFishKeepers.com
Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I have a Fu Manchu Lionfish so I know what you are up against. Try Silver Sides on the feeder stick and move it like it's alive. While live feeders are not the best IMO guppies are better than carp. I would wait for 3 days then offer a Silver Side, if he shows no interest try again the next day. If he didn't take one then give him a feeder and start over again. I feed mine one large or 2 small Silver Sides every 2 to 3 days. Hopefully you can wean him off live feeders. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
Reason you dont want to feed it live FW is because they are high in a fat that will eventually damage there livers... or so ive been told...

If your brave enough to try...(the way i do it..) Mine will eat silversides from my hand.. just wiggle it infront of him. The feeder stick is pointless.. i swear they can see them. He will get comfortable around you enough to see you comin and get ready to eat. Mine will see me and hit the top of the tank.

Also you only want to feed them every other day... (i feed mine every day.. about 2 silversides.)... and lastly.. they are also primarially nocturnal. So the first few weeks.. he is trying to adjust to whats going on. Just give him time.. he will perk up.

I also will throw in a live swimmer every now and again.. to give him the thrill of the chase... a big nono from what ive been told... but he has no problems going back to silversides...

IF You need to feed him freshwater fish.. (expensive yes.. but still better than nothing...) get mollys. They are found in both salt and fresh water. They also will live in the salt water for a couple days without acclimation.. (although mine lasted over 3 months >.<... till he ate them xD)
Old 04-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

yeah i definitely knew that feeder gold fish were bad, i was never even going to do that. its unfortunate, the feeder ghost shrimp at my LFS look like completely crap.

i was thinking they could see the feeding stick too!! i'll try my fingers next time. i just hope he doesn't go hungry until he finally gets some food. thanks a lot!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
I feed mine an occasional goldfish.. but i usually just stick to mollys and silversides as the main diet.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #8

lol i just attempted to wave the silverside near his face, bad idea lol! he just fans himself out and goes on the defense.

i will order some feeder ghosts and use those, and hopefully gain his trust soon!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #9

Mine will fan out, but thats usually because they corner their pray before they eat it. so..
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM   #10

well....today i tried to feed him some ghost shrimp. i put them in with the lights out, and frankly i am 95% sure he just ignored them. later on (6 hours later) i came home, turned the tank lights on to see 3 ghost shrimp carcasses. i found one of the shrimp still alive actually, and my lionfish was perched in the exact same spot as when i left him, breathing kinda heavily.

i caught the live ghost shrimp, and held it right in front of the lionfish's face for two minutes. so, for two minutes i have this ghost shrimp squirming in front of this lionfish, obviously alive, dead in front of the lion's face, with the lionfish looking right at it. wouldn't budge.

i noticed a gash on the lions side, probably from my clownfish. could it be stressed and not eating period? :-/

my ammonia and nitrite are 0

Tags
feeding, lionfish, zebra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com