female or male clownfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
First thing I put in my tank was a yellow tail damsel.

yesterday I put in a clown fish that is about 2.5" long and 2.5 years old. It is probably a male correct, since it is pretty small?

it looks like the damsel and clown are doing fine, the damsel is not aggressive to it.

I want to have another clownfish in my tank. I was wondering if I should get a male or female? will it matter? IF I get another male will it be aggressive?

Not necessarily a male. It could just be a small clown. Maybe a juvinile. About the only thing you can do is get one much bigger or smaller and then the dominant one will morph into the female.

They're born all male. Some more info via Wikipedia:

"When the female dies, the dominant male changes sex and becomes the female. This life history strategy is known as sequential hermaphroditism. Because clownfish are all born as males, they are protandrous hermaphrodites (pro=first; androus=male)."

They are born with active male and dormant female reproductive organs. That allows the sex change from male to female sholuld the female die.

Back
Top Bottom