Fighting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys so I moved over a gold rush tang from qt to main. Things was looking good for first few hrs then my Anthias had fight with the tang and the tang looks worse for wear so put him back in qt. is there any reason apart from maybe a territorial issue. Thanks

Can you tell us more about the system? Without that knowledge it'd be hard to point you into the right direction.
In my 120, I have two lyretail anthias, a powder brown, and sailfin. The male anthias has got big since introduction and became a bully over the female. There were two other females I'm assuming died to either the aggression or from starvation as he wouldn't let them near the food. The tangs keep him in check, but even as I watch the tank the male is trying to bully.

80g got two clown.1 royal gramma,1 watchman goby,1male 2 female anthias and a fairy wrasse. My male anthis sometimes chases the royal if it comes over anthias side off tank. Think problem I got is I’ve built up right side off tank more with rock then the left side so my anthias live on right side so when tang was looking for home he picked the males spot. Everything was good for first few hrs just after tang tried his spot

Do you think it’s worth adding more rock and change it around abit then add the tang

I don’t think any rearranging or addition of more rock will help. It’d make things more cramped.
There are tangs that can be in smaller tanks, like the tomini, but it shouldn’t be done with so many other tank mates. It will only cause issues and deaths.

Gold rush tang is a bristletooth aswell only grows to 6-7in. So your saying my tanks full with fish with what I got in there already without tang

Well, a bristle tooth will work in there, though it isn’t due to their size it’s more about how they live.
Seeing a picture though points out the problem, not enough rock. Here is a picture of my current reef to compare a I’m at 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand.
IMG_0136.jpg

I don't think you are 'over stocked ' but I would rule out any tang..
That is a 36"[3'] tank ? It looks very tall and possibly the anthius appreciate the vertical water column IMO tangs need longer tanks..Even 4 '[48"] wide tanks are a bare minimum IMO....
You can stock other fish but do need to think of smaller fish .
I would also say you need more rock to help create territories ..2 piles at least like you have may help with aggression.
IME anthius usually stick to killing each other...
How small is the tang ?

Well, a bristle tooth will work in there, though it isn’t due to their size it’s more about how they live.
Seeing a picture though points out the problem, not enough rock. Here is a picture of my current reef to compare a I’m at 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand.
View attachment 308840

Nice tank. Yeah I’ve been thinking for while build up other side a little but thinking if going swap tang for other fish or just leave it how it is for now

I don't think you are 'over stocked ' but I would rule out any tang..

That is a 36"[3'] tank ? It looks very tall and possibly the anthius appreciate the vertical water column IMO tangs need longer tanks..Even 4 '[48"] wide tanks are a bare minimum IMO....

You can stock other fish but do need to think of smaller fish .

I would also say you need more rock to help create territories ..2 piles at least like you have may help with aggression.

IME anthius usually stick to killing each other...

How small is the tang ?

Well tangs about 3-4in long,he in qt at min till I make mind up what going to do but been thinking just take him back and might get two more female anthias

Update so added more rock and my bristle tooth and took to new rock straight away. Was bit chasing first day but tang was up to standing his ground, when lights came on next day all peaceful and tang can swim anywhere IMG_0468.jpg

Back
Top Bottom