Film on surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark0716

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a film on the surface of the water in my aquarium. Does anyone know where it comes from and what I should do to get rid of it. Its very slightly oily looking.

You'll need something that skims the surface of the water. Either a wet/dry intake that skims, a protein skimmer, or an attachment for a canister filter.

I have a Fluval 404 with a surface skimmer that cost me $14 I think. It was my best purchase for the money last year.

I just got an aqua C Remora skimmer, but it doesn't really skim. The intake is below the waterline. Do you think there is a way to adapt it or to attach some sort of skimming devise to my cascade filter?

You can try searching google for an adapter. I know Prizm has an interchangable intake that can skim the surface.

You dont need a skimmer to rid of the oily surface, get a prefilter called "Poly filter" It will clean it right up. Stick the filter pad where there is good flow, such as in your sump or in ur filtration unit

It is protein build up on the surface... You need to get the skimmer to work and it should go away over time. What do you have for filtration? W/D, sump, hang on back..... Surface movement also helps break it up.

Back
Top Bottom