Film on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duddi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a film on top of my water. If I take my finger and skim the top of the water it breaks up the film and if I aggitate the surface with my power filter it gets white/clear flakes swirling in my tank.

Should I be aggitating the surface always?
I had a power filter and a power head running and didn't see a problem and before I left for the weekend I turned the power filter off and know I have a film.
Any idea what it is and what I should do?

Yes, always point a powerhead up for surfacea aggitation. That should help. I notice when my skimmer gets turned off, I get a collection of gunk on the surface.

I pointed my phs towared the surface, and that got rid of the oily surface.

Yes, direct your water flow to break the surface. Also, how frequesnt are your pwc? I get this as well and usually notice it most when I am 1+ weeks past due on pwc.

HTH,

Try to get a surface skimmer either Fluval, Aquaclear or other brand. I am using one of this with a hang on back filter on my nano it works like a charm and not expensive at all.

Thanks, I think I will get a skimmer. I would like to take off my power filter and just use ph and skimmer. My tank is only 3 weeks past its cycle and I have done 2 20% water changes. My ph has an attachment that will allow air to run through it pushing air bubbles with the flow. Should I use this attachment or not?

I would not as it will cause lots of micro bubbles in your tank. Nothing wrong with that but I always see alot of people complain when they get those.

Should I use this attachment or not?
I believe it can cause problems in SW fish, like eye problems and a few other things, if I remember correctly. You don't need air bubbles in the tank, proper surface ripple will promote healthy gas exchange and a stable pH.

Back
Top Bottom