Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

filter

I have 56G WLR and a canister filter do I need both or should a shut off my filter? The filter has a skimmer that I attached to it also. My tank is still in the setup stage no fish yet.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
56G WLR
is WLR Julie's Chocolate Torte? (first google result). Also, you can run both if you like, or not. The skimmer is really only a must around 7-9 months after first setup. IMO, a sump and skimmer would be more efficient, but you can get away with a canister filter. Run Matrix, or ceramic rings, and large sponge + small sponge. Leave a portion open for phosphate media and activated carbon later on.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

lol. I have an Aqua Top CF-300. I have ceramic rings and the filter pads on each level with the activated carbon already in it should I take it out?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im assuming "wrl" means - with live rocks. How do you hook up your skimmer into your canister?

If you have enough rocks (~1.5lbs per gallon), then you can shut off the canister. Like mentioned already, you can put chemical media into the canister. Be sure to clean the canister regularly to prevent buildup of waste. I would take the filter pads out and use it mainly for chemical filtration. Thats just me though.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #5

Yes I have 60lb of live rock right now. I have the a TOM Aquarium Surface Skimmer attached to my canister filter. When you say chemical filtration what do you recommend and how should I set it up? I also have the intake strainer hooked up should I remove that? Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

anyone?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chemical like phosban reactor, activated carbon, gfo, things that go in bags or reactors

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com