Filter and skimmer questions, 10 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, so I am getting my 10g set up. Two questions...

1) Will all the particles from the live sand eventually settle out? I put the sand in last night and boy, what a mess! The filter intake (I am using an AquaClear 70/300) was too close to the sand and ate some and stopped the impeller (I shortened the intake today, hope this helps). The tank looked good this AM but when I pulled out the intake line, the water that came out stirred up all the fines again....

2) I've been getting conflicting advice about filtration. I will have 20 lbs live rock in there. Was planning on using the HOB for circulation and carbon only. Do I or do I not need a skimmer? I am planning on LR, clean-up crew, some feather dusters, a shrimp and one fish (not all right away, of course!!)

1. It will dissapate with time, yes.

2. You'll be fine in a FOWLR without a skimmer,especially with that much liverock. Something else to consider would be to maybe use liverock rubble instead of carbon. Totlally up to you, but the LR would give more surface area for bacteria.

HTH and don't forget pics.

I recently posted a thread about this and got mixed reviews. I imagine it would work similar to the Sea Clone. Sure though, a skimmer, no matter the effectiveness, is better than no skimmer at all. But with a FOWLR tank I don't think one is "needed".

Just my opinion of course. :)

IMO I would go with the LR and skimmer. I`m just a firm believer in a skimmer than carbon and filters. Not to say that DT is wrong but I think we are both right. You cannot lose either way.

Back
Top Bottom