filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it true like I read on these forums to use the filter media until it falls apart? The package insert says change every 2-4 weeks! Does the activated carbon wear out?

Also I have an emperor 280 and i have a plastic insert that is empty (can hold extra carbon). Should I get some carbon for this or insert another filter cartridge or leave it empty?

Hiya. carbon is usually used to remove medications or odors. its not a necessity. Alot of people remove the carbon from their filter and just use the foam / pad. I am running carbon and GFO right now in mine. But usually I don't have the carbon in, was just polishing up my water a bit. :)

so, just use bio media, like noodles, bio-max, or other kinds of bio-sponges for bio bacteria(you dont need to replace these...) and just replace the filter sponge or fiber- mechanical media..(media, like the white or blue fiber) when it cant be rinsed with tank water anymore, or it is bad,(gunked up beyond repair or needs to be replaced)... polyester fiber or blue/white filter fiber is great for a filter fiber or polisher, and is cheaper than buying media made for the filter... you can put extra carbon in your extra media slot or in your filter or put it in a mesh bag in filter or in tank to help with removing smells, color, medication from your tank

I have a bio-wheel. My filter media is the blue stuff. So general consensus is just to keep it clean and run it till it breaks.

Back
Top Bottom