Filter death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mae17 said:
Well my clown was alive in my filter so I disagree.. Luckily I found him in time to save him.

Clowns are part of the damsel family and some people have even used them to cycle their tanks so they are fairly hardy little fish. I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I will give you an opinion only and years of experience with saltwater fish...my opinion is that your fish are either not in the best health they could be or you have some water issues. I have a small 55 gallon tank with a filter that can be used on a saltwater tank up to 150 gallons and I've never had an issue with it being so strong that it could suck a fish in when it was close. As a matter of fact my clown will swim right up to then swim off. She is a healthy little one and nosey! She'll even swim over to my cleaning hose and that has some suction (now that kind of scares me) but waddles off. Did you quarantine the fish? The next one you buy, I would try it and make sure it's healthy. If you honestly think its the filter then put some live rock around it so no fish can swim near it. If they die again or disappear, you'll know that's not it.

I agree with Nikki! I had a 10 gallon tank with a filter rated for a 75 gallon tank and none of the fish would ever get stuck. And never had a problem on my larger tanks, that all have filters rated for double of their gallons. It is the fish! Either it wasn't healthy or the water parameters are making it weak. a fish being found in a filter sounds like the fish was just being a little mosey and explored too far. Try and by a sponge to go over the filter's intake. Fluval makes a good one. Also, take a picture for me of the filter and the intake. Thanks.

I have a Nuvo tank .. So I don't what kind of filters you guys have but mine is an overflow into the filter. I'm assuming the fish was just being curious and swam threw the slits.. It's a very small clown.

Imapilot, what powerhead(s) do you have? And I use to and still find fish alive and swimming in my overflow, curious little guys, thank god they never got sucked into the sump, then they wouldn't be so lucky!

Mae, I will have to look into that brand tank, Fluval makes one similar that I like, but next tank I get will be at least 200 gallons.

Yeah I have no idea what power heads even are lol.. Everything came assembled with my tank.. I guess I should learn that!

Mae, I think your tank has them built in. They are what help circulate the water on most tanks. I was just wondering how imapilot's water circulation. Could be a reason for his weak fish.

Elude82 said:
Imapilot, what powerhead(s) do you have? And I use to and still find fish alive and swimming in my overflow, curious little guys, thank god they never got sucked into the sump, then they wouldn't be so lucky!

Also i dont have a sump, just a hang on filter and a protein skimmer.

Imapilot, I don't know then? Are those fish alive still, If so are they still getting stuck? So far we ruled out the circulation as a problem. How are the fish eating? You can tell if fish are in bad health some times by their eating habits.

Back
Top Bottom