Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Filter Question??? Is this going to work?!

So I have a 29 G tank, with about 15 lbs of LR and about 10 of base rock. A PC lighting system ( T5 with the 420 actinic, and regular light). 100 W heater, 2 koralia PH's. I have about 6 hermits, 6 snails, and 1 conch snail and a brittle star in there. My tank has been going for almost a month now. I just added the CUC. All readings are doing great.

I need to know if my filter system is good. I just have a Penguin 200 BIO wheel filter system. Its the kind that hangs on the back, and just sucks the water in and filters it through the media. I was wondering if this is good enough with the LR. Also if it will work can I change out the media and put something better in there. The media in it now is just the penguin bluw stuff with the carbon I think. If i was to change the filter media would it mess up the bacteria in it?

Thanks for your help, will post pics later if needed!!!!

( I plan on getting a canister filter when the funds are a litte higher!!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think you`ll be OK with what you have. A big plus that you have is the LR in your tank. Good biological filtration. The filter will be OK to use for added flow and for GAC if needed. That`s all I have on my 29.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I think you`ll be OK with what you have. A big plus that you have is the LR in your tank. Good biological filtration. The filter will be OK to use for added flow and for GAC if needed. That`s all I have on my 29.

ok thank you, but what about the media inside of the filter. Is there something better to use than just the blue spongey stuff. I think its just got carbon in it, would I be better off by changing that with somehting else?

also if I did change it would it mess up something with my cycle. My cycle just completed.

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I generally replace all my filter media with LR rubble and run purigen in one or two compartments.
You can remove the carbon and replace w/rock rubble, let the bacteria settle in and then remove the "blue spongy stuff" (maybe bio balls) and replace them with more rubble.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Assuming you don't overstock your tank, your live rock should be good enough by itself for biological filtration. In reality, you probably don't even need the BioWheel for biological filtration. But for mechanical filtration and a place to do carbon/purigen/etc, it's a good deal.

I run a Penguin 100 BioWheel off the back of my tank, and use the standard Marineland filter cartridges with it. (Blue filter floss with carbon.) They do gunk up fast though, so be prepared to clean it off in saltwater every week and replace it every 3 weeks or so. Biowheels have a reputation of being a "nitrate factory" but in my opinion if you keep the filter clean you won't have an issue.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Just to add to Kurt's response, the bio wheel is a great way to quickly cycle a QT.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I generally replace all my filter media with LR rubble and run purigen in one or two compartments.
You can remove the carbon and replace w/rock rubble, let the bacteria settle in and then remove the "blue spongy stuff" (maybe bio balls) and replace them with more rubble.
alright well There is just 2 compartments and there are 2 blue fiber type things that go into it. Can I just take them out and put the LR rubble in there and some purigen. Would this mess up my bacteria. Or should I just pull them out and put LR rubble in there and then slide them back in, and let it go for a while and then take them out? Would putting the LR in there make it so I would never have to change it again???

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com