Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2003, 02:43 AM   #1
cj10488

Filter questions

I bought this 55 gal setup today from walmart and The tank came with a Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter, 2x 15watt marineland daylights and a visi-therm 200watt heater. The filter definetly needs to be replaced but seems to work great as a starter filter. But i was thinking about switching the Magnum 350 canister off my 29gal and putting it on the 55gal.. Would that be enough water flow for a 55gal FOWLR tank? And with that question in mind would the Aqua-Tech 30-60 filter be enough movement and filtration in my 29gal.. Also what way would be the BEST to start and finish the cycling on the 55gal the quickest. My 29gal cycle is almost complete but My LFS had me cycle with Damsels which I didnt like that idea due to it being cruel. Please advise..

TIA,
James
Old 08-26-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
My 29gal cycle is almost complete but My LFS had me cycle with Damsels which I didnt like that idea due to it being cruel. Please advise..
It is very nice to see that kind of responsibility!! Kudos to you

Before we can answer your questions, we need to know a couple of things.

How is the tank going to be set up? FO, FOWLR or Reef?

Is the 29 a FO, FOWLR or Reef?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #3
cj10488

The 29gal is FOWLR and the 55gal is going to be FOWLR but i wont be adding the live rock for a few weeks do to the expense. The 55gal is going to as well be FOWLR.. Until I get more familiar with saltwater tanks and convert it to a reef tank... The 29 gal has 3 fish in it at the present time... I decided to just go ahead and switch the filters do to the fact that according to Marineland the magnum 350 is suitable for up to 100 gallons.. In the 29gal i have 20lbs of Argonite Sand and in the 55gal i have 40lbs of Argonite Sand.. Makes a Sand Bed about 2" deep.. Plan on adding more at a later time to obtain approx 4" depth in each tank but i bought out the LFS on their sand here in town... lol

Is the LR from Liverocks.com any good?? This is where I plan on ordering about 40lbs of LR within the next couple of weeks from them...

TIA,
James

1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Domino Damsel
1 Green Chromis
Old 08-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #4
cj10488

I was just sitting here wondering I have 11lbs approx of LR in my 29gal of that there is 2 pieces 1 approx 5lbs and 1 approx 6lbs.. The 6lbs I just added approx 1 week ago and the 5lbs has been in there since the start of this tank. Couldnt I just pull out the new 6lbs and put it in the 55gal to start the cycle.. I prefer to use the 6lb as the 5lb rock already has coraline algae all over it.... The problem I have with going that route is that my Yellow Tail has taking quite nicely to the 6lb rock due to its deep holes and such for him to hide in.. Scared me the other night I couldnt find him and i thought he might have gotten sucked up by the filter or jumped out... Or would it just be best to go get a few fresh raw shrimp from the Grocery Store and add those to the 55gal.. I plan on ordering DFS Select Fiji Premium Rock - 45 lb. Box from liveaquaria.com on or approx the 10th of sept but want to start the cycle asap..
Old 08-26-2003, 07:41 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I understand wanting to start they cycle, but IMHO, your better off waiting and cycling with the LR.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com