Filter Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trk1616

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 45 g FOWLR tank and am looking into getting a new filter. The ones I've looked at at my LFS are around $50 and say they are good for up to around 70 g. They've got two overflows and hang on the back of the tank.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

what are the 50 dollar ones that they say are good? I also have a 45G tank and am cycling it now for a FOWLR, and for it I got an XP3 filter (a bit much but serves you well if you ever upgrade to a bigger tank). I like that filter a lot. But if you want the upmost best you could do a mini sump. For HOB filters I would go with an Emperor, or something with a bio wheel. Don't get the cheapie brands like Whisper or the newer HOBs like the tetra tec (they make a lot of noise). Also when you do decide on a filter look on BigAlsonline.com.. they have fantastic prices and are most likely cheaper than the LFS. But very smart of you to ask away than do what I did and just buy and ask questions later.. you'll save a lot of money and stress :wink:

If you have 1-1.5 lbs of LR in your FOWLR and a sand bed, then I would recommend you buy a skimmer and allow the rock and sand to biologically filter your tank.

I have 2 damsels, 1 clown, 1 chromis, 1 starfish, 3 hermits, 6 or so turbo snails, about 10 lbs of LR.

If I had enough rock you're suggesting to get a protein skimmer and no filter? I'm still a rook at this, but I have just never heard/read about setting it up like that.

hey reef, what do I do with my set up then? Should I not have the XP3 in my tank? I have a 45G TALL (like trk1616) FOWLR cycling now (about to put lighting to give it 2.8 watt/gal) with an XP3 filter. I have about 50 pounds of aquarium sand and a 300 watt heater (marineland visitherm). Should I add anything to this or take anything out? thanks

If you have at least 1 - 1.5 lbs of LR, then you do not need the cannister filter and it will elevate your nitrate reading possibly causing algae problems. If you do not have the required amount of LR, you will have to have the external filtration.

Man I didn't realize LR did that much filtration! Hmm this sucks but then again if you meant 1-1.5lbs of LR per gallon? I probably won't have that much at all.. the rocks (mostly base rock with some LR) is basically for either a single snowflake eel or a puffer (most liekly a puffer) to graze on and also to hold some macroalgae/marine plants.

Back
Top Bottom