filteration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerstroke99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone i have a question. when i bought my 55gallon tank used it came with a large bio wheel filter and a skimmer. i have added a 20 gal long sump with live rock, live sand, a bubble trap and moved my skimmer to the sump. my question is do i still need the bio wheel hang on back filter, i do also have to power heads in the tanks and well as my sump return for circulation. and my overflow box has a foam filter in it also so i was needing to know do i need the hang on back bio wheel?

You dont need it but you can leave it running on your tank for some extra water flow and if you set up a qt tank you'll already have the bacteria on the bio-wheel to cycle the qt.

I agree that you do not need it if you have plenty of LR and a skimmer. You can however leave it there for GAC or purigen flow if you should need it.

in that case ill just pull it out it is more of an eye sore than anything else and i already have a small qt tank set up running thanks you guys!!

You could stick it on the back of your sump, so you could run GAC or media in it, and it would be out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom