Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! Any help will be much appreciated. My 75 gallon tank has been setup for about 6 months. Was using a fluval 305 with emperor 400 hob filter. Everything has been great with water except the nitrates have been between 40 & 60. Just added a 29 gallon refugium setup a week ago to replace my fluval 305 canister and emperor. Using live rock and chaeto along with a uv sterilizer and protein skimmer. Both the refugium & fluval have been running right now how long before I can shut down the canister filter and just use the refugium? Just checked water today everything seems good except nitrates but they are coming down. Should I run both or just the fuge?

Is it possible that the canister will hold in the nitrates?

Yeah could happen but just have to make sure ya keep it clean. I usually clean my filter pad only n my canisters every water change.

What kind of media do you typically run in your canister?

Clean out your canister filter pad every 1-2 weeks. I like to rinse mine every week. The chaeto will start absorbing soon. When it starts growing, then it would be safer to remove the canister.

IME cleaning out canisters are pretty long. I rather keep filter pads or socks in a refugium to catch the solids. It's easier to clean definitely.

Back
Top Bottom