Filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jezzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone please tell me what is the best alternative to using a wet dry filter on a fowlr tank. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Use a skimmer. Pulls more stuff (with proper flow to ensure food/ poop does not settle on sand and rocks) and does not trap that food/poop in your water column so that it turns into nitrates.

I will have my protein skimmer in the chamber of my wet dry prior to the bio balls. Have 2 koralia power heads. Should I keep the bio balls. I will also use live sand and was thinking of using fake coral inserts.

I would take out the bio balls, as they collect stuff that will add to higher nitrates unless cleaned regularly. I would add some live rock in it's place.

The coral inserts will likely end up covered in algae and look bad in very short time. I'd skip that idea and just go with rock.

Overall, your live rock and live sand will host beneficial bacteria that provide biological filtration. The skimmer should get most of the "solids". Make sure your flow is enough to keep stuff off the sand, so it can eventually get caught by the skimmer. That takes a bit of tweaking usually.

Thanks for the advise. How do you feel about the reel reef live rock brand, I know that it is artificial but I have heard good things this type of live rock

I believe my uncle uses it without problems... And I agree with the skimmer. They really are great on saltwater tanks.

How do guys feel about pika I dry rock from brs

Sorry I meant pukani dry rock. Dam I phone

Back
Top Bottom