filtration questions help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will a 20 gallon custom made sump/refugium and a canister filter be enough filtration for a 110 gallon aggressive FOWLR tank?

I would say it depends on the type of canister but nitrates and nitrites are hard to control with a canister filter. I would just go with a Sump. But that's just me. I have never been a fan of canister filters

90-110lbs LR. You think otherwise that 20 gal wet/dry sump is sufficient..?????

I think it would if you play your cards right. Im guessing this is a non drilled tank? Is that why you were thinking canister?

Yes. Well I have a 55 with the sump unit I built and friend is trading me 110 with the canister so itd be all I had for awhile filtration wise and I wanted to inquire if it would suffice for a tank that size

Well you can get an overflow box and go with a Sump that's what I have for my 85g tank. The thing with canister filters is they hold nitrates really really REALLY bad. I have heard numerous issues with nitrate problems with a canister. They require a lot of maintenance. I owned one for maybe a month and it was unbelievable how many issues come about. They are a pain to clean too. It's way easier to deal with a Sump. But.... Saying all this I have seen people make them work it just takes a lot of work and patience. You must go slow. Thats with anything with salt water but with a canister go even slower..

You don't think the 20gal sump is to small for the 110gal aggressive tho right???

If you have enough flow in/out it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have seen it done. Before you buy a overflow box hit me up so your not getting ripped off. I would suggest reeflife.com a double. They make very good overflow boxes and don't require a aqualifter pump. And I recommend a powerful return pump. What type of filteration are you gonna use in your Sump?

I have. Homemade overflow. And its. 2 inches of bioballs 2-3 layers of filterpad and nitrate sponge live rock chunks and 2 inches of matrix then the heater chamber then the 10inch refuge and a rip I think 2100 return pump to a custom made occur spray bar.

I kind of want a second siphon on the overflow tho cause the return seems too powerful. Oh and 2 purigen packs floating in return chamber.

Back
Top Bottom