Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
Hold off on the vodka dosing... I don't believe it to be a science yet.. you could end up with one heck of a algae boom .. and I mean boom with a capital B double O m.
Yeah, last resort type thing. I've only been reading up on it for a day or two. Wouldn't do it just quite yet!

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycajun View Post
Did you look at Dr Tims np active pearls? They remove nitrate and phosphate and are easy to work with.
Nope, I will have a look, thanks! My phosphates are at 0. Is it weird to have phosphates 0 and nitrates 20?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you get water tested at lfs?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ime nitrates are hard to zero out with 25-30% pwc's ... you'd have to prob do a few back to back 50% pwc's to get it down to 0-5.... obviously I don't wanna see you burn through salt like crazy so id recommend just confirming that your test kit is accurate and then sit back and watch. Keep in mind that every persons tank settles in at different levels and times. Some peoples tanks sustain 0-5 grates consistently without any out of the ordinary pwc's, others (like you and I) have tanks that hold to the 10-20 range consistently. The one question I do have is what reading were you getting for trates BEFORE doing your weekly pwc's? Only reason I asked is because I was obsessed with getting my trates to zero after setting up my tank... but with the help of others, discovered my tank sustained itself in the 10-20 range consistently from week to week. So if you're hovering around 20 even before your weekly pwc, id say you don't truly have anything to worry about... 20 isn't bad
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, it always reads about 20, no matter when I test. Didn't get my water tested today but I did just order a salifert nitrate test along with instant ocean nitrate reducer (probably won't use it, but got it in case I get desperate - apparently it uses same principles as the vodka method).

I would love to have undetectable nitrates and that is my goal. Guess we'll see if it's the test kit or my water when my new test kit gets here. If it's the test kit - great! If it's the water, I'll try back to back to back water changes and see if I can get it down naturally and keep it there. If not, I may give the IO nitrate reducer a try.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy

Thanks! I've read the coral beauty is reef safe with caution, so I would wait until I see him nipping at something to remove him.

I've cut back feeding to every other day.. will feed the tang every 3 days. Think I will get some more rock too. If I add real live rock it will cause a mini cycle i think, would adding more base rock be fine?

Thanks for reading me!
Base rock absolutely .. had live rock if its from a lfs .. if u get it shipped u will.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma
Ime nitrates are hard to zero out with 25-30% pwc's ... you'd have to prob do a few back to back 50% pwc's to get it down to 0-5.... obviously I don't wanna see you burn through salt like crazy so id recommend just confirming that your test kit is accurate and then sit back and watch. Keep in mind that every persons tank settles in at different levels and times. Some peoples tanks sustain 0-5 grates consistently without any out of the ordinary pwc's, others (like you and I) have tanks that hold to the 10-20 range consistently. The one question I do have is what reading were you getting for trates BEFORE doing your weekly pwc's? Only reason I asked is because I was obsessed with getting my trates to zero after setting up my tank... but with the help of others, discovered my tank sustained itself in the 10-20 range consistently from week to week. So if you're hovering around 20 even before your weekly pwc, id say you don't truly have anything to worry about... 20 isn't bad
I have concur.... I run 20 and below .. I have no issues with coral growth nor algae ... I was once the same way..till I realized I had no issues with it that way..
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the salifert test kit has arrived. It reads my nitrates at about 25. So looks like I'll do a series of big water changes.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Scott...,IMO,.. I wouldn't worry too much about the number game UNLESS something really adverse is happening in your tank,...as stated earlier,.. I think every tank settles in differently,..if your tank is up and running for six months to a year and these are the numbers that you are consistently getting AND everything in your tank seems to be A-OK .., fish,corals etc then,..the heck with it,.."set it and forget it" ...besides a few massive water changes, , lots of micro algae ,or a load of " nitrate remover" in a reactor you're doing about everything you can.,..
The overfeeding issue is a biggie too ,...the critters do not need as much food as YOU think they do so feed every other or third day and give them only what they'll eat as stated above.,...if you do all these things and you're still at 15 ppm or so than so be it,...do your weekly pwc and keep up good house keeping practices and you'll be fine.
My old 75 gal tank ran beautifully at 10-15 ppm nitrates no matter what I did to try and get them down to zero..., after a while I knew I was doing everything I could on my end to keep things clean so after a while I finally just accepted it .
My new 135 as of this morning has as close to zero nitrates as possible at this point in time but we'll see what happens over time... Good luck Scott .
Old 10-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice post, thank you!

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com