final nitrate thread - Must be solved!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well for multiple reasons I decided to use the instant ocean nitrate reducer in addition to my 25-30% pwc's.

So far no noticeable drop in nitrates but my skimmer seems to be pulling out more stuff.

It's only been two days though. We will see, and then I'll have a product review.

I could be wrong but wouldn't you wanna shut your skimmer off?? Id think its pulling out the reducer

Nah, I've read that it binds to the bad stuff and then the bad stuff is removed via the skimmer, or something like that. It's essentially a bottled version of the vodka method. I think a skimmer is one of the most important parts.

Well it's been one week with the nitrate remover. Can't tell for sure yet. The cyano in my sump is definitely receding though, and the nitrates seem to be closer to 10 than 25, and the skimmer is pulling out the nastiest darkest stuff to date.

Guess I shall give it more time. Probably has to build up some bacteria.

Check this out, this is all that remains of the cyano. It was covered and long and stringy.

img_1622591_0_e9896c463432361ea10df9eaf2be9d14.jpg

It is very cool to see it recede!

Nitrates down to about 10.

Nitrates at 5, cyano just about gone. Not that it was ever a problem where it's at but it signifies that it is having less nutrients to live off of.

img_1644912_0_3e25f4d07d17827996b8a2f600f0f52b.jpg

Seems to be working and I'm out, so I ordered another bottle.

Back
Top Bottom