Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Finally getting my 125 started!

I currently have a 125 freshwater but for christmas im setting it up fowler! I currently have on order 2 powerheads salt live sand a canister filter and a hang on skimmer! I intend to buy 50 lbs of live rock and 100lbs of base rock im not putting up a sump for now so what im wondering is what else do i need?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well you forgot your heaters! Haha but I'd drill for a sump unless its tempered glass I have a 30 gallon now going to upgrade soon to a nice 75 with a built in over flow and all plumbing. As I already found out starting a saltwater tank is like crack I always wanna mess around and buy things for it! Good luck on your start up

Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lol thanks i already have heaters because its running fresh already! I would do a sump but im going to keep it simple and add stuff as i go! Ill add a sump with overflows as my bio load gets larger! I just want to get it started for now!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

What hear is clean your canister filter cause nitrate issue. Someone might chime in on thus good luck
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah unless you are looking at predetroy fish I would not at a canister filter as they require a lot of cleaning to stop nitrates. I also know what you mean about just desperatly wanting to get it set up but may be worth looking at a sump now because it will be very hard to get it set up once you have the tank running obviously your call just trying to give some friendly advice. other than that everything you need is there as far as I can see
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a canister filter and I clean it once a week along with the water changes. All you got to do is make sure all the big stuff is taken out. You rinse the sponge in the water you pull from the tank and reassemble.

I am going to upgrade to a sump filter a little later, but as long as you keep up with the weekly cleaning you should be fine. Mine has been keeping the water crystal clear with no problem of Nitrates. Of course I only have had it set up for 3 weeks. :-p
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would definitely take the extra time to set up a sump.. I was impatient and added mine later and it's not at all how I want it.. If you can, get it drilled, overflow boxes are a pain.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks all for the advice! One reason im avoiding a sump for now is the tank is a standard 125 set up in my 10x10 bedroom and as its set up my stand is just that a stand i cant really get under it setup or maintain a sump! For this reason i was hoping the skimmer and the live rock along with the hob filters or even a canister would be enough! Not sure about stocking yet but im going to keep it light and my biggest fish will be a tang or a trigger like a blue throat! I probably wont have more than 5 fish to keep waste down!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 fish in that tank with all that should be good should be a great tank!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks the equipment should be under the tree next week so ill probably start a build thread next weekend to get help working out the bugs! It will be my first saltwater setup!

Tags
125 gallon, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com