Finally getting my 125 started!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 125 freshwater but for christmas im setting it up fowler! I currently have on order 2 powerheads salt live sand a canister filter and a hang on skimmer! I intend to buy 50 lbs of live rock and 100lbs of base rock im not putting up a sump for now so what im wondering is what else do i need?

Well you forgot your heaters! Haha but I'd drill for a sump unless its tempered glass I have a 30 gallon now going to upgrade soon to a nice 75 with a built in over flow and all plumbing. As I already found out starting a saltwater tank is like crack I always wanna mess around and buy things for it! Good luck on your start up

Lol thanks i already have heaters because its running fresh already! I would do a sump but im going to keep it simple and add stuff as i go! Ill add a sump with overflows as my bio load gets larger! I just want to get it started for now!

What hear is clean your canister filter cause nitrate issue. Someone might chime in on thus good luck

Yeah unless you are looking at predetroy fish I would not at a canister filter as they require a lot of cleaning to stop nitrates. I also know what you mean about just desperatly wanting to get it set up but may be worth looking at a sump now because it will be very hard to get it set up once you have the tank running obviously your call just trying to give some friendly advice. other than that everything you need is there as far as I can see

I have a canister filter and I clean it once a week along with the water changes. All you got to do is make sure all the big stuff is taken out. You rinse the sponge in the water you pull from the tank and reassemble.

I am going to upgrade to a sump filter a little later, but as long as you keep up with the weekly cleaning you should be fine. Mine has been keeping the water crystal clear with no problem of Nitrates. Of course I only have had it set up for 3 weeks. :p

I would definitely take the extra time to set up a sump.. I was impatient and added mine later and it's not at all how I want it.. If you can, get it drilled, overflow boxes are a pain.

Ok thanks all for the advice! One reason im avoiding a sump for now is the tank is a standard 125 set up in my 10x10 bedroom and as its set up my stand is just that a stand i cant really get under it setup or maintain a sump! For this reason i was hoping the skimmer and the live rock along with the hob filters or even a canister would be enough! Not sure about stocking yet but im going to keep it light and my biggest fish will be a tang or a trigger like a blue throat! I probably wont have more than 5 fish to keep waste down!

5 fish in that tank with all that should be good :) should be a great tank!!!

Thanks the equipment should be under the tree next week so ill probably start a build thread next weekend to get help working out the bugs! It will be my first saltwater setup!

Got my sand changed out to live sand and got 50 lbs of base rock in as thats all my lfs had in stock! Salted it up and going to add another 80 lbs of rock saturday but untill then its just settling

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130102_230636.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130102_230636.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 76
Water has cleared up alot and i took a few new pictures of the rockwork that i have now adding about 80 more pounds saturday and starting the cycle!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130103_200038.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130103_200038.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20130103_200051.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130103_200051.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 79
Ive noticed lol it's going to take forever haha! Im putting shrimp in tonight though to get the ammonia started!

Well had a few delays with money problems and some trouble with our power going out but the tank has finally cycled and im looking to start adding fish! What i want as of now is.....
1 niger trigger
1 blue throat trigger
1 yellow or purple tang
2 clarki clowns
1 dog face
And maybe a dwarf angel

Does any problems come to mind with this stock list from people with experience;

Back
Top Bottom