Finally going for a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way I'm going to pick up some water tomorrow to top off my tank is it purified or distilled? I heard distilled is very bad . I was reading through the forums an I heard a lot of distilled being thrown around.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461573325.953908.jpg my girl friend woke up this morning and sent me this picture at work it's finally cleared up! Now you can see my two filters and my power head and my wave maker. Should I know remove the big filter and turn on my skimmer? put my light on at all yet?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461610785.453173.jpgOk so I left the large filter on there and added bags of carbon to both. I turned my protein skimmer an also the light and I have slight coverage of sand on everything. What's next? I rinsed the filter sponge in the small filter didn't rinse the fine filter pads they look still pretty clean. I think I should get a magnet cleaner. Should I leave my light on all day ?

View attachment 286434Ok so I left the large filter on there and added bags of carbon to both. I turned my protein skimmer an also the light and I have slight coverage of sand on everything. What's next? I rinsed the filter sponge in the small filter didn't rinse the fine filter pads they look still pretty clean. I think I should get a magnet cleaner. Should I leave my light on all day ?

What's next? I think you should start cycling. I don't think you need you lights on (at all) for that.
Do you have a decent test kit? You will be monitoring ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for sure; possibly other parameters as well.

Hi there
I would just get all your filter system up and running properly and leave them on 24 seven as for your lights being that you have no corals at the moment I would just leave the lights on 6 to 8 hours a day as there is no need to have it on any longer as it will encourage algae to grow and could even leave the lights off for now if you so choose.

Ok lights off I have a big filter I added to clear up the tank quicker should I take that off?

Ok lights off I have a big filter I added to clear up the tank quicker should I take that off?

Just run with only The equipment that you have decided to go with it should clear on is own without having to add any extra filters The cloudiness is just the chemistry in your tank settling down ,and Will probably be crystal clear within a week.

Ok running my one filter and skimmer and wave maker should I wait on water changes until everything becomes stable?

Ok running my one filter and skimmer and wave maker should I wait on water changes until everything becomes stable?

Don't do a water change until your cycle has finished as it will slow the process up when the cycle has finished then you can do a big water change ,you need to be patient now?

Don't do a water change until your cycle has finished as it will slow the process up when the cycle has finished then you can do a big water change ,you need to be patient now?

And the cycle being done is my water test come out normal ?

What have you use to cycle your tank as it can take a number of weeks to be complete.

I'm lost... what have I used? Nothing umm just everything that I have posted

I got what yeah meant and I have tons of fresh water fish foods would these work ?

I'm lost... what have I used? Nothing umm just everything that I have posted

To start your cycle you need to throw in a couple of prawns raw or cooked it doesn't matter just leave them in,
You will then need three test kits ammonia. Nitrite. Nitrate. First you will see ammonia when that disappears you will see Nitrite and when this one disappears you will see your final one which is Nitrite and when this one goes down your cycle is complete then you can do your water change.

I was just reading curing the live rock and sand is a way to cycle your tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461715367.467612.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461715379.804062.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461715390.922970.jpg
I've never ran a protein skimmer before but wanted to make sure it was running right is the water not suppose to come out of that time canister thing or is it supposed to be or just barely idk please give me some help lol

Back
Top Bottom