Finally going for a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462187198.045252.jpggetting some color on my rocks some signs of something finally

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a nice growth of Coralline algae you got going on there[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Color all over the place showing progress

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462577343.759022.jpg Final purchase of live rock and Aquascaping is done!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462577377.179197.jpgnow I will let it run for a day and then test the water to see where I am

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462671707.874306.jpgfirst official water test no ammonia showing up yet

Petco near me doesn't have prawns so trying to figure out what I'm going to do

Petco near me doesn't have prawns so trying to figure out what I'm going to do

Go to the grocery store and get a shrimp or prawn from the seafood counter. Fresh is fine. I don't think it matters if it was previously frozen. Put it in a nylon bag and drop it in the tank. And wait. And test.
Edit: or get some pure ammonia if you can be absolutely sure that it is free of dyes, perfumes, and surfactants/detergents. There is a dosing calculator if you want to hit 4.0 ppm as an ammonia target.

Last edited:
Awesome I will do that so shrimp in a bag from the grocery store is fine?

As long as it isn't breaded! When I cycle I get one of the cheap shrimp rings. Toss a couple in some panty hose and tie it off. Toss it in the tank and you have easy clean up...while sitting back eating a shrimp ring.

Aha ok nice I will pick one up tomorrow thanks guys

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462892416.286729.jpgshrimp in how long usually you keep them in and I have not any water changes sense I started this tank because I'm cycling it right ? Wait till its done cycling?

Wait til it is done cycling. There won't be a messy clean up due to it being contained, so it doesn't really matter that much. You just want to ensure the cycle is done before removing.

Whew it stinks ahaha but man did it get cloudy sense I put it in there should I be doing anything but just testing the water ? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463128622.468429.jpg

I was not going to bring up the smell. There are some things one needs to discover on their own :) My last fishless cycle was a tank in the bedroom. For that reason I chose to use pure ammonia.
I don't think there's anything else to do at this time other than top offs.

Everything is high. Nitrite is threw the roof the ammonia is like 2.0.Nitrate is like 40ppm, ph is like 7.8 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463335652.395755.jpg

Just about everything is reading 0 so just about done with the cycle

Back
Top Bottom