Finally Got a hood! and a few questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kingman8610

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I finally got a hood for my 10g HOWLR and will post pics asap, but right now Im running half 15w Incandescent bulb and half 25w flourescent bulb, I have no Corals and no fish, and 3 hermits and a few astrea starfish.. my question is: Would it be better for me to have LEDs? I've heard something about the kind of light and how it affects the tank and growth differently... I do wanna add a couple fish maybe in a month or so, and a nessarius snail and a few random ones too.

Any suggestions, advice? thanks!!!

Okay. lol LEDs are nice but expensive. Have you thought about CFLs? You could light your tank pretty cheaply.

HOWLR?

Haha, I agree with above, shouldn't need anything too special. Should be fine with what you already have.

Just keep the light cycle shortish (8-10 hours) and the nutrients down and there shouldn't be an issue with algae.

Is it a full hood? A lot of people, including myself, have open top tanks. I cover it with "egg crate" at night but an open top looks cool. And it is better for oxygen/gas exchange.

Ok first, what is CFL? And yes it is a full hood.

Is "keeping the Light cycle shortish" relating to the set-up I have now or the CFL? And what do you mean by keeping the nutrients down?

I just mean to keep your light on for 8-10 hours per day if you don't have corals.

And when I say nutrients I mostly mean nitrates. You can keep these down with good protein skimming and water changes.

Back
Top Bottom