Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Kiko
Firefish Experience

Does anyone have experience with firefish?

I would like one more small fish to my 55 FOWLR. Ideally, I would like a fish that hangs out "in" the live rock. Three of my four fish swim out in the open most of the time. The Potter's Angel is the only one that stays low in the tank.

Would a Blenny or a Goby be a good choice? The smaller the better.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Firefish (fire gobies) like to hang out suspended in your aquarium but have places they swim to when frightened. So you'll see them often but they also use the live rock. Royal grammas are a little more secretive and tend to hide a little more. A list of the fish you have in your tank would give me an easier time with advise though.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Kiko
2 Percula clownfish, 1 Racoon Butterfly, 1 Potter's Angel.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have four firefish gobies in the 150gallon, and yes, they do stay suspended in the middle, clicking their dorsel fins on their half of the tank. If you want something that hovers on the rock, consider a true goby, and not a dartfish variant -- such as a clown goby (probably a green striped) if you want color.

I'd suggest the mandarin dragonette (often referred to as a goby, but is not a true goby) as the coolest fish *EVER*, but you need tons of ripe live rock for it to flourish on -- she climbs up to the top of the stack of live rock and "jumps" during the day. When the night-lights come on, she floats to the top and rides the current along the top of the water. definitely the most interesting fish -- not to mention, personally, the most gorgeous.... and let's not forget, nothing in the 150gallon tank has even touched her. She'll look at her reflection expanding her fins, and pole dorsel fin (shorter than the males, yet still long).. truly beautiful.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you get a psycho goby they're very similar to the Mandarin but they have bullseyes on 'em.... mine will eat brine and has been doing great in my tank.... he's one of my favorites... always hovering around the rock or glass.......
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to jenpc Send a message via AIM to jenpc Send a message via MSN to jenpc Send a message via Yahoo to jenpc
My bicolor blenny hangs out in my LR. He is very cool to watch, he swims around and backs into the holes in the rocks anywhere he can..he hangs close to the rock though. He is my favorite to watch.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Scooter Blennies are way cool if you have enough live rock and pods.

JG
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I'd second the bi-color blenny for one that hangs out on the rocks, usually peeking out from a hole. I've got a midas blenny that hangs out on the top level rocks ony where he can see everything. The dragonet mght not be a good choice unless your tank is good and mature with pods to munch on.

Another choice might be a neon blue goby. He'll actually lay on the rocks and the color is nice. It's a cleaner too and will act like a cleaner wrasse at times.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a firefish as well as a green clown goby with red stripes. Clown goby does all the sitting. Sometimes he sits on my mushrooms but doesnt bother them.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a purple firefish in QT right now. It will be going into my 12 gal. nano. It has the most increadible colors. Very cool to watch.

Tags
firefish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com