Firefish Goby ATTACKING MATE??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought an Orange Firefish goby last Thursday, and for the few days following they seemed happy and at home. Then, about two days ago, the male (I think...) began chasing and nipping its mate:nono:. And today, I noticed the female (still guessing) was missing the end of her dorsal fin! Completely torn off! Now, the immidiate suspect is the mate, but maybe it wasn't...?:confused:
Stock:
2 Firefish
2 Clownfish (True and False Percula)
4 Green Chromis
3 Hermit crabs
3 Snails
A patch of GSP
Size: 55 Gallon
LR: 50 lbs
LS: 80 lbs
Salinity: 1.022
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1.0
I'm going on a weekend trip, so quick responses would be appreciated. Thanks!

These guys are supposed to be quite peaceful but if you have 2 males you could definitely get aggression. What makes you believe you have a male and female? If I'm not mistaken they tend to do better in odd numbers as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I picked them up, the LFS owner showed them to me, and of the four she had (the four firefish) these two were always near one another. Also, the supposed female is smaller and sleeker than the supposed male. And I believe odd numbers is for freshwater schooling fish, not saltwater pairs. Could be wrong though.

Hmm guess I was thinking of another fish. Long day :/. But my first guess would be two males. Other than that it could just be stress from moving and will sort itself out.

Edit: sorry thought you meant Thursday as in yesterday. That's weird that the behavior just started after a week.

Another weird part: At night, the two will sleep in a corner of the tank, one on top of the other. It's like, "Oh, I'll attack you during the day, but guard you at night".

This is a shot in the dark but maybe he was trying to get her to mate with him?

So, update on the two. The male is completely dominating the female. He's now started tearing up her back fins. Should I get a small 5-10 gallon tank and move the goby in there by herself? Or leave it be? Or try and return it to my LFS?

So, update on the two. The male is completely dominating the female. He's now started tearing up her back fins. Should I get a small 5-10 gallon tank and move the goby in there by herself? Or leave it be? Or try and return it to my LFS?

Personally, I would try to return it.

So the LFS says it'll take back the aggressive one in exchange for store credit. I was thinking of getting a pair of purple firefish goby instead. Would that work?

Well, took back the aggressive orange firefish yesterday, and exchanged for a purple firefish. Here's hoping for better luck!

fire fish if i read it right should be paired in 3s 2 females 1 male

Firefish are prone to jumping from aquariums and shipping bags. They are best kept in covered aquariums.
spacer.gif

Other Common Names Firefish, Fire Goby, Magnificent Dartfish, Fire Dartfish
Description One of the most popular candidates for Nano tanks and larger peaceful community aquariums, the Firefish Dart Goby is a colorful and timid fish that prefers to live with non-boisterous tankmates. Can be kept in small groups in large aquariums and will pair off. Fire fish will fight in small tanks , They are best kept in pairs of three.
2 females to every male

Diet Live, enriched Brine Shrimp may need to be fed Feed a varied diet consisting of finely chopped meaty foods. These foods include krill, raw table shrimp, squid, clam and mussel. It is also a good idea to occasionally supplement with some type of herbivore diet. Bright coloration of this fish can diminish if not provided a proper diet for coloration of fish. Blue Zoo Ultimate Reef Fish and Coral Diet is recommended to keep the color of this fish which can be shipped with your fish order.

Back
Top Bottom