First acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silam1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just been the Lfs and bought my first new pet two cleaner shrimp this is my first acclimation and would appreciate any help I'm using the floating bag method what would be a safe time before putting them in?

I hope I'm not too late. I've read inverts are very sensitive and would stand a much better chance with a two hour drip acclimation using a siphon

Well they've been in the bag for nearly an hour now they look like there doing ok only reason I'm using the bag method is a friend used it an his are doing fine I just hope mine do well suppose ill have to carry on we'll ill let u no how they do thanks for your reply

The bag method is fine. Research online there are different ways to accilmate fish, you can also do the drip method. Best of luck.

The bag method is fine. Research online there are different ways to accilmate fish, you can also do the drip method. Best of luck.

Yes I've been researching for about 2 months on everything fish really hope it goes well thanks for the luck ill prob need it ha

Silam1984 said:
Well they've been in the bag for nearly an hour now they look like there doing ok only reason I'm using the bag method is a friend used it an his are doing fine I just hope mine do well suppose ill have to carry on we'll ill let u no how they do thanks for your reply

You can slowly add water from your tank to the bag to acclimate them to your water parameters, then drain half the bags water and slowly add your tanks water again, after a bit net them and put them in your tank, generally that's the recommended way that's easiest in fish.

when i added my goby and 10 cleaners, my goby died but 10 cleaners lived, float acclimated

i acclimated my clownfish by pouring in water in the bag, when he left, he seemed agitated but hes still alive today, still wont eat as much as i hoped for though

drip acclimated another goby for 1 hour and he died within 24 hours :(

DROPPED my conch bag while it was floating into my tank so i basically didnt acclimated him, but i still left him in the bag for 40 minutes. He left and ate for couple of hours and has hid under the sand since. Im worried since he wont leave that dam sand

i dont even know why my favorite fish are bottom feeders, they are never there to watch lol =[ im about to say **** it all and forget my goby shrimp combo and just live with a blenny

Inverts are more sensitive than fish. I use the drip acclimation for everything though since I don't have to keep coming back and filling it with water and dumping the water out. Make sure also to leave the lights off for at least 4 hours when a new fish, invert, or coral is introduced. I prefer to leave it off until the next day to minimize stress and to not stress out the other organisms with the sense that it's nightime and then morning 4 hours later...

@pairenoid: just wondering why you bought 10 cleaners, I'm assuming you're not talking about shrimp b/c that would be a lot!

Conches and other inverts can be very hardy actually. Many online stores that sell CUC crews pack them with just a wet towel and advise to temp. acclimate for 15 minutes then add them directly. I followed these instructions and it didn't seem as though there were deaths. I've used the drip acclimation for CUC members I got from my LFS and they all did fine too. Fish are a different story and can be stressed out more easily than inverts, so it seems.

I agree, inverts are more sensitive than fish. If you float the bag, you are matching the temperature which is great but the water paramaters may be completely different ( most likely) The drip acclimation is most beneficial just to help prevent any issues. I poured tank water in, then emptied half the bag, then poured more tank water in for my cleaner shrimp and he is very happy and healthy. Just make sure you do not put any water from the LFS in your tank.

Well woke up this morning and checked on my cleaner shrimp both we're still alive but they seem to be hiding all day an night is this normal

Yes they will hide for a while but eventually will get more bold especially when food goes in

It'll take them at least a few days to get used to new place and decide if its safe, but then they're a lot of fun and will try to jump on your hand whenever you put your hand in The tank. :)

Thanks for all the feedback really appreciate it am just off to Lfs now to get them some food maybe they'll like being in my tank more when they're getting fed I no I would ha

yes I have 5 snails/hermits but 1 of the snails died. I replaced him with a tiger conch that had a feeding frenzy day one and hasnt left his spot in a week. I see him eating every few days in the spot without moving, and his eyes are out, but he wont leave..but i hear hes just saving up energy to eat more

yes I have 5 snails/hermits but 1 of the snails died. I replaced him with a tiger conch that had a feeding frenzy day one and hasnt left his spot in a week. I see him eating every few days in the spot without moving, and his eyes are out, but he wont leave..but i hear hes just saving up energy to eat more

Yeah, sometimes my conch will stay in the same place a few days, but then he moves. If his eyes are out, he should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom