First Dead Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. Well my Yellow Clown Goby just passed away and I am very bumbed out. I am new to this and he was my first fish to pass away. My Clown fish is perfectly fine and healthy. But the clown goby never ate. I acclimated for an hour and a half with the drip method but he just never showed any interest in food. May he rest in peace.

Clown gobys can be difficult. They are very shy and can be quite timid eaters. I always had to feed my other fish on one side of the tank and more or less target feed the clown goby because he wouldn't like to come out and eat with the other fish. Sorry about your loss. They can be tuff little guys to keep.

DO NOT beat yourself up over this ... there is likely nothing you did wrong !! Depending on the method used to capture these guys it is no suprise and unlikely you did anything wrong !!
Some harvesters use cyanide to stun them , the cyanide then wreaks havoc on thier digestive system and does not allow them to process the food they eat , and basically they quit eating and starve , I have had 0 luck with them for the above reasons (or so I assume with out a necropsy there is no 100% proof) I can say after the last few I quit ..
Just to be sure what size tank is this and what are your perameters including temp ? What are your tank mates ?
Sorry for your loss .

Water parameters:
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-About 10-15
Temp-78
20 gallon FOWLR
4 Blue legged hermit crabs
1 Ocellaris Clownfish
15lbs LR
Crushed coral substrate
Yeah, I'm sorry too. I didnt want the little guy to die. His name was "Sunny".

Every thing looks spot on ... I assume your kits are new and not expired , I dont see even a speck of suspicion from that ... I think it was the capture method .... nothing you did ... sad part is that generally you are going to get them they are on thier last fin out ...
Please dont beat your self up over this , it was an inhumane capture I am sure ....if you want one perhaps ordering from some where like live aquaria would yeild you better results ? Again sorry for your loss of your pal Sunny :(

Sorry about the loss. In the future you might want to make sure you see the fish eat before you get it at the LFS.

Sorry about the loss. In the future you might want to make sure you see the fish eat before you get it at the LFS.
That is not always 100% either as there are times they will eat but can not digest it .... I say try to find one that is there for atleast 2 weeks or so , offer a deposit and make sure that it is the one you paid for not a switch out or replacement if it dies .... I had one that I got they showed me he ate and then a week later he was sunken in and dead :( I just always attributed it it the cyanide capture and that they can go for up to 10 days with out food , then when it looks like they are eating they are not processing it :(

I see. Thanks a lot. I think I might just go for a Yellow Watchman Goby instead. Any experience with these?

My Yellow Clown Goby hardly eats anything.. he's stupid. His stomach is pretty concave yet he won't chase down food when it's right in front of his face. I think mine's going to slowly die too since he just looks so withered and hardly eats. I feel your pain on these little clown gobies...

I currently have 2 of em I have had them nearly 8 months give or take (one replaced a purple pseudochromis that was naughty and the other was a last fish add because he was what I wanted ) , again same applies but less so ... do watch them eat , they tend to be shy so you may not see them alot , mine go in "waves" some days I cant get em out of my face others I dont see em for a week ....unless I am feeding ...unless they are a pair they are peacful meaning that you should only have one YWMG per tank unless they are "paired" ... they may fight if they are not mated ...they get along with my clowns famously as well ... but I would not have them and any other "long" same shaped fish (atleast in a nano, larger tanks would be less problems ) my guys are not much on the sand sifting front either they are lazy :p but they do give some action such as all level swimming when they are in the mood for it ;)

Thanks. I really look forward to getting one. I really want a goby. There just isn't much of a variety here in the miami fish stores. And the online shipping is too expensive. I wouldn't pay more for the shipping than the fish itself.

Here is a thought if you travel take a cooler and a small set up so that if you are out and about and you find one you can get it ...
I traveled (2 or so years ago) to ohio I took a cooler and a small filter for in the tank and a small 5 gallon heater (tested) when I went to the LFS I found a cool sea horse (to replace one I lost ) I got him and took him to the hotel , the lid shut down so they did not know what it was :p I did opt for no house cleaning too , I bought 2 small pieces of live rock less than 5 bucks for the LR and set up a "QT" in the hotel , when we left for home I emptied 1/2 the water and we set off on our journey .... Now if it is a multi day trip take another container to empty the H20 into to place it back in when not traveling , had I thought of it I would have used a garbage sack to tie off while driving and then opened it up again but ours was only a 1 day drive back home ;) so what I emptied out was fine . When I got home I dripped him right in the cooler and then clean and disenfected the cooler with some bleach and some dechlorinator let it sit in the sun and put away ;)
This will give you time to look around and also your tank to settle down a bit too HTH

Thanks. I really look forward to getting one. I really want a goby. There just isn't much of a variety here in the miami fish stores. And the online shipping is too expensive. I wouldn't pay more for the shipping than the fish itself.
Reefs2go.com ships for free to florida and their yellow watchman gobys are $14.00.

I had issues before with the place, but now they offer a 14 day guarantee. Despite the problems I had, they didnt fight me over a refund when I asked for it.

I gave them a second chance and got a yellow watchman. He got here today and is sitting in his tank looking at me weird.

Matt

No minimum...
Even snails ship free, I just would feel like a jerk. :)

Matt
Why these places that have these "free" shippings pass the cost on to those of us out of state :rolleyes: and they have to know nanos are the "trend" right now so most can not support 10 new things in that small of a tank right off :D dont feel bad take advantage of the free ship . they get the free word of mouth advertising and new customers

Are you guys sure its trustworthy? I mean I'd hate to get scammed or screwed over. Its legit?

Are you guys sure its trustworthy? I mean I'd hate to get scammed or screwed over. Its legit?

Oh yea, its legit. They just are a small operation rather than someone like liveaquaria. You can pay with paypal too. That means that you can file claims in the event that something goes sour.

Ive ordered a handfull of things. The fish have had issues so far, but they will refund or replace them. They just now began offering 14day guarantee. If the item dies in 14 days (usually long enough to rule out a goner anyways) then they will replace them. Thats the ONLY reason I trusted them again this time....I got a good sized goby in today and my snails are all moving! One had barnicles on him too. :-D

You may have the fish die, but youll get a replacement or a refund. And at 0$ shipping, its a good risk. It IS sad to watch a cute lil thing die as well as frustrating as HECK, but the new guarantee takes the edge off. Paypal will hold them to their claim too. SO if 7 days later Mr Fish is dead and reefs2go isnt helping, it becomes a SNAD case with paypal (significantly not as described).

Matt

Back
Top Bottom