Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

First fish finally but new question as well

So I have had my FOWLR tank up and running now for about 3and a half weeks in the second week I added 2 turbo snails a scarlet legged hermit crab and a blue legged hermit crab I acclimated all of them and they are doing amazing! Did a water test today my ph is a little low like between 8.0 and 8.1 my ammonia is a little over 0 but not much and 0 for nitrite and nitrates salinity is great as is temperature but my question is what is a generic price for special ordering fish? Like 5 bucks or so? Thanks

Old 01-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It depends on the species.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a goby
Old 01-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just my .02 cents: make sure those turbos have something to chow in there, snails need food and your tank is too new for them IMO. I lost 3 trochus snails because I thought I needed them for a clean up crew, no algae though! The hermit crabs I got are fine though
Old 01-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh u have no idea those snails eat everything no worries though I've bought all my live rock with tons of algae and algae pellets for them so I know what I was getting into when I bought them but overall they are thriving
Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you have any ammonia in the tank at all I wouldn't add a fish. That just means your tank isn't cycled and you are just asking for problems down the line.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok well still with or without fish being added what is a basic coat for special orders
Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's impossible to give a basic cost. For me at my LFS, it's whatever deal the owner can get. Having my LFS buy a fish for me generally involves nothing other than me going in and asking for said fish. For you it will probably be different.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok haha the only reason my ammonia levels were a tad high was that I fed the crabs and snails some supplement food and I fell out of the bag quickly so a flight over feeding is what was happening there and I have cleaned the excess food out so I will test it tomorrow and will more than likely have better results
Old 01-27-2014, 01:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If a slight overfeeding of inverts is enough to overload your bacterial load then what will adding a fish with even more food and waste requirements do to the tank? You basically have cured uncycled live rock in your tank.

Tags
fin, first fish, fish, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com