Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First fish return

Well, once again the flame angel nipped a fin. This time it was the pakistani butterfly. My fiance seen it happen and said that gosh darn(politely put for the forum) fish has to go. He is about 4 in long and I hate to see him go but I can't just let my other fish swim around all merle and haggard lookin'. In about 8 hrs from now he will go to a pet store. I know I won't get much for him but I guess it will be a lesson learned. Any of you have a story about taking one back.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ofcourse fish are going to have a little bit of a nip or what not here and there. And a little chase. They have homes in our aquariums too. If his nipping at corals, Fair enough. But if his only nipped once at a fish, I'd think again about letting him go if you liked him.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He has done it before to my firefish. I don't get it, he has plenty of room. The tank is 180g and plenty of rock to keep everyone busy. On the other hand, the only fish bigger than him is the powder brown tang and it gets left alone. In case anyone wants to know I have a mccosker's wrasse,1 firefish, 1 regal and powder brown tang, and a pakistan butterfly, and 2 clowns. The angel is about 4 in, the pb tang is about 5 in, and the rest are around 2 in.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, he'd leave the tangs alone. Maybe he just wants to be the boss of someone. The firefish should be able to outrun him easyliy. They're very quick/darter fish.
Your fishs fins will heal quickly in ideal water conditions, but if you dont like him trade him for something else maybe?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's not that I don't like him. The whole fin-nipping thing is what I don't like. Personally, I think he is the best looking fish in the tank, but ragged fins are not cool looking. I figured out that the whole cause was my fault. I did research him before I bought him, but I didn't take into account his size and possible age. A maximum size of around 4-5'' means he is probably fairly old and set in his ways. I'm guessing he was traded in to the store, because the store closest to me always gets these little 2'' or less sized fish. they get clown triggers that are barely above fry classification. I hate to see him go but, he will be qt before hitting the sale tanks and be taken care of.

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com