Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yes, but the inside of the tank this is what you are going to be looking at 99% of the time.
i would not have a bulkhead low on the glass if i could help it. the most important reason for me would be that if it leaks, your whole tank will empty down to that bulkhead. if you aren't there, everything will die and your house will be ruined.
if you are there, you'll have to drain the entire tank in order to fix it.

if you cut the hole 4" or so below the water line, worst case scenario, you can drain the tank to that level, and fix it, with the livestock still in it.
if you aren't home, you'll only lose a few inches of water, tops.

another reason is aesthetics. no one looks behind the tank.

thirdly, is if you ever want to sell the tank, it will be worthless with holes towards the bottom, because no one does it this way for the above mentioned reasons.

just some food for thought.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Doug has a point. I bought my tank already drilled on the bottom and it looks great; however, after my move out West and I filled it leaked a little; the seal needed to be tightened. It scared me because even though it was a slight drip, I had the tank completely full (because of the overflow) so I would've had to drain all of the new saltwater and remove all the sand. Basically it would've been a huge pain!

If I do get another tank in the future, I will make sure to drill it where Doug said: just below the water line.

The ONLY benefit from drilling on the bottom is if you plan to push the tank completely flush against the wall, or it's going to be in the middle of the room for everyone to see all sides.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Doug has given you sage advice, and you would do well to follow it.

For sump desgin and construction check out Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's .

As this will be your first SW tank you may as well do all the reading that goes along with it.

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Tap Water in Reef Aquaria

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, live rock, marine, newb, newbie

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com