First FOWLR/Marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idigfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So Ive been a aquarium enthusiast for about 3 years now, (fresh water)
Ive now decided to tank it to salt water..now that Ive donated my freshwater fish and everything I dont need. Within a few weeks im planning on starting from scratch, I plan on having a Fowlr around 80 - 100 gallon but i only have basic knowledge, I am currently in the works of creating a sump/refugim, (30G) and im just looking for some useful tips and advice, on these subjects

1. Drilling for Piping details (where to drill, and how big..)
2. best protein skimmer for this size.. and best price ;)
3. Live rock.. whats the best way to do it, Buy dry/dead rock and then some cured live rock to seed? (who really wants to pay 7 buckaroos a lb if they dont have to)
4. what should my sump contain? (how many chambers and what they should host) I know im asking for alot, but i want to start cycling my live rock as soon as possible|

Thanks guys I will be posting photos of my progress

I don't have any experience with sumps so I'm not much help there, but I can tell you that for the live rock I would go with a mix of dry and live to save money like you said.

Great, I just wanted to hear that from someone who has actually done just that. My local fish store suggested all cured because half and half just wouldnt work haha (of course $$) thanks !!

i wouldn't' buy cured rock from the lfs. it's the most expensive. i would buy all dry rock or drop shipped uncured rock and cure it in the tank.

the skimmer i would use is something like this-
Reef Octopus Extreme 160 Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave
or perhaps this-
Reef Octopus Extreme 200 Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave
you only need to drill one hole in the back of the tank about 4" down and about 4" away from the corner. the hole size depends on what size bulkhead you intend to use. i always like to go with a glass holes overflow. they come with the bit and all-
Complete Overflow Kits - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

sump- 3 compartments: intake with skimmer, refugium (if you want one) and the third chamber will be the return.

Thank you !!!
Im utilizing the aquarium I already have for the sump, (30G)
Im just curious what do you think the total cost will be to do this setup (anywhere I can DIY, I will be.) Im just wondering general costs of
the PVC required

and is there anywhere I can find a resource list of things I must have (to better budget myself)

OH, Im actually interested in drilling the entry/returns from the bottom of the Display tank, any input/advice on that? I figure if im going to do it , i wanna do it right and aesthetically pleasing as well as functional?

that's a mistake. most tanks have tempered bottoms, and even if it doesn't, and the bulkhead starts to leak, you'll have to drain and empty the entire tank to correct it.
the most aesthetically pleasing is the glass holes overflow box. they are low profile. a standpipe inside the tank will look ugly IMO.
here is a standpipe i installed on a tank coming up from the bottom. i did this only because there was already a hole in the bottom. this was just a frag tank and not a display(just to give you an idea on how it's going to look-
img_1183066_0_a4f95a9c9450d2a46ba4e0f09a10a205.jpg

i wouldn't drill any returns. why put extra holes in the tank if you don't need to? more chances to leak. i would come over the top with the return(s).

the cost of pvc to do this? i dunno...20 bucks?
to find a resource list of things you must have, you'll have to decide on how you want to go with this.

Okay. so ive decided I am going with a 70 gallon Aquarium,with a 30 gallon sump. I plan on drilling both the over flow and return, (bottom back pane) I am just wonder what anyones personal suggestion size the pvc/bulkhead should be?

you should not drill at the bottom of the tank. it's a big mistake. what is your reasoning behind this?

a 1.5" drain and a 1" return is fine for your system.

I just mean im going to drill at the back of the tank near the bottom, then have the linear of the pvc going up towards the water level, and possibly the same with the return, I just really really hate the look of white pvc (rather have some coraline on it :) ) being behind the tank, so the less the better

yes, but the inside of the tank this is what you are going to be looking at 99% of the time.
i would not have a bulkhead low on the glass if i could help it. the most important reason for me would be that if it leaks, your whole tank will empty down to that bulkhead. if you aren't there, everything will die and your house will be ruined.
if you are there, you'll have to drain the entire tank in order to fix it.

if you cut the hole 4" or so below the water line, worst case scenario, you can drain the tank to that level, and fix it, with the livestock still in it.
if you aren't home, you'll only lose a few inches of water, tops.

another reason is aesthetics. no one looks behind the tank.

thirdly, is if you ever want to sell the tank, it will be worthless with holes towards the bottom, because no one does it this way for the above mentioned reasons.

just some food for thought.

Doug has a point. I bought my tank already drilled on the bottom and it looks great; however, after my move out West and I filled it leaked a little; the seal needed to be tightened. It scared me because even though it was a slight drip, I had the tank completely full (because of the overflow) so I would've had to drain all of the new saltwater and remove all the sand. Basically it would've been a huge pain!

If I do get another tank in the future, I will make sure to drill it where Doug said: just below the water line.

The ONLY benefit from drilling on the bottom is if you plan to push the tank completely flush against the wall, or it's going to be in the middle of the room for everyone to see all sides.

Doug has given you sage advice, and you would do well to follow it.

For sump desgin and construction check out Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's .

As this will be your first SW tank you may as well do all the reading that goes along with it.

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Refugiums

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Tap Water in Reef Aquaria

Back
Top Bottom