First Marine Tank 27 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nelsontreyjones

Aquarium Advice Activist
Converted my 27G cube over to a marine tank after wanting to start one for months.

This is what I have so far for equipment

27 Cube tank (20"W x 18"D x 20"H)
Stand
20" Finnex FugeRay 7000k (Going to upgrade to 24" Finnex Ray2 Aquarium Day/Actinic once I fill comfortable going reef)
Marineland C-220 Canister Filter (220 GPH) (all tray loaded with filter floss at first then will change media.
Fluval Sea CP1(265 GPH)
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 (240 GPH) (Just for initial salt mixture since I mixed in tank)
Aquatic Life 115 Mini Protein Skimmer
35 pounds of Carib Sea South Sea Base Rock
40 pounds of Carib Sea Aragonite Reef Sand

Been going at it for about 9 hours today.

Removed fish and traded in for store credit and transfer remanding plants to other planted tank. After that gave the tank and canister a good cleaning with water and vinegar. Once that was done I spray painted the rear of the tank with a flat black paint. While that was drying I washed the Aragonite Reef sand and the base rock to get ride most of the milkyness. Lastly I arranged the base rock to my liking and added the RO water and salt mix.

Before

Base rock

Sand

Arrangement

Added salt

Finish product after an hour

Going to add the protein skimmer and starting my cycle tomorrow with Instant Ocean BIO-Spira (Marine) since I had such good luck with the fresh water version.

Could someone chime in and let me know if 2 circulation pump @240, @265 and a canister filter @220 to much flow for my tank? Keep in my its a cube. Also in what order should I added the other fish if I am adding the 2 Ocellaris Clownfish first.

2X Tank Bred Ocellaris Clownfish
1x Royal Gramma Basslet
1x Firefish Goby
1x Blue/ Green Chromis
25x CUC

Will it be fish only or a reef? I believe you can never have too much flow but if it looks like a tornado and fish are struggling then its too much :)

I think that would be the minimum flow with those powerheads. :) If it is going to be a reef then flow is your friend. There's always a way to manage the flow you have so it doesnt blow sand around, just a matter of placement and trial and error.

Will it be fish only or a reef? I believe you can never have too much flow but if it looks like a tornado and fish are struggling then its too much :)

I think that would be the minimum flow with those powerheads. :) If it is going to be a reef then flow is your friend. There's always a way to manage the flow you have so it doesnt blow sand around, just a matter of placement and trial and error.

I think I will be going reef. But just wanted to make sure it wasn't too much. But I guess I won't know until I add the fish.

Update: 3 August 2013

Since starting I had added
x2 Ocellaris Clownfish
x1 Firefish Goby
x1 Blue/ Green Chromis
x1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
CUC
Some Pulsing Xenia

Parameters (Checked about 4 times within 2 weeks)
pH: 8.0
Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 -10 ppm (hard to tell, I would say more of a 5)

Started to develop diatom algae which I believe to be normal, should take care of itself. Been doing about 10% water changes weekly.

Still getting a bit of micro bubbles from skimmer

Yes, beautiful tank & pics!! I have a similar stock list. Aren't Chromis schoolers?? I could be wrong. I was thiiiiiiinnnnnnking bout getting some. We'll see.

Great pictures, wish my camera took that good of a shot. lol But thank looks great. :)

What kind of a camera do you have? I could help you get a good shot! Here's the basics, make sure inside & out of tank are super clean, algae & streak free. Make sure the room is dark, no reflections. Turn off your flash & get the camera as close to the tank as possible. Try every setting on your camera. Certain fish need high speed but that sometimes is lacking on exposure time for the amount of light. So also make sure your brightest lights are on. I'll bet on Auto you'll get pretty good shots. Try it!

I only have a point and shoot nikon. I'mnot even sure it has settings. LOL

Oh, I'm SURE it has great settings! Nikons are good! You probably even have a setting you can adjust for the temperature settings for the light! i.e. 6500k, etc. Try "action" then try the setting "S" or "SS" & keep speeding up the shutter or slowing down til you get a shot you like based on lightness/darkness. Probably 1/160 is good if I remember correctly for when the daylights are on on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom