FIRST SALT WATER TANK (40gal) ALOT OF QUESTIONS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myerko01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my names Mike. I just started buying the components for my first saltwater tank. I have done a lot of research but still have many questions. Would love to meet some people to help me along the way.

So far this is what I have invested in:
-40 gal tall tank with stand
-Fluval C4 Filter
-CPR Aquatics BAK PAK 2R+ Protein Skimmer
-TWO Hydor 425gph heads
-Fluval 200W Heater
-No name 50W Heater (Plan to put in a separate bucket to prep water changes)
-Salinity Refractometer
-Refractometer Calibration Fluid
-SeaChem Amonia Alert
-Instant Ocean Sea Salt (200gals)
-Tetra Safe Start 100mL
-SeaChem Prime 500mL
-Tetra Easy Balance Plus 500mL

From my knowledge, the last items I need to get are: live rock, live sand, water parameter testing kit or strips.

I wanted to go the route of buying about 30-35 lbs of dry rock and then get the other 5-10lbs of live rock from my LFS. As for live sand, I would like to avoid changing the substrate so I wanted to use the absolute minimum amount.

Also, I need some advice on testing the water. I have read up on the biological cycle. But would like to get some input on this subject.

Any help at all is welcome.

THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

always use RO/DI water. dont use strips to test, use liquid. Do not use API test they are reported to be horrible.

I have a friend with a RO/DI filter that I plan on getting my water from. Thanks for the advice on the testing, can you recommend a good brand?

Also....

Here is the rock I was looking at purchasing: Rock : Florida Reef Rock (30lbs - Free Shipping) - Reef Cleaners.

From what I read, if I mix the dry rock with live rock the organisms will seed into the dry rock and rejuvenate it back to life again?

"Live rock" is just a term used for a rock with beneficial bacteria on it. You don't actually need any live rock at all as it will all eventually become live without it. When you skip out on using live rock it negates the chance of acquiring any undesirable pests and saves money :)

Just go with aragonite sand. You don't ever have to worry about changing the substrate so just go ahead and get as much as you want. I would suggest 40lbs minimum for a 40b.

The API kits are perfectly fine to use for a FOWLR tank. I would look at hanna checkers or red sea test kits if you want to switch over to a reef tank.

What were you planning for lights?

40g tall 30/35 pounds sand will be perfect as the layout is a little more narrow in that tank
i never used any of these since i had to run through a cycle any how
-Tetra Safe Start 100mL
-SeaChem Prime 500mL
-Tetra Easy Balance Plus 500mL
there not going to make the tank cycle any faster
salifert test kits is what i use (strips are a waist of money)
the base rock reef cleaners has will become live over time just no nasty hitchhikers
i have a bunch of it in my tanks nice rock

Back
Top Bottom