First Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tehmetalleer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

Currently in the planning phases of my first ever aquarium, a FOWLR saltwater tank which I hope to eventually have a reef in. I've done quite a bit of reading but I do have a few questions.

My plans are to use an old 20 gallon tank my dad had, and for filtration I've heard about people converting filters like the AquaClear model for 70 or 120 gallon tanks to refugiums. I'm hoping the extra filtration will create a sufficient current such that I won't need a power head. Is that possible?

I'm also looking for an economical way to give my tank reef-ready lighting since I definitely eventually want to have some corals, even though it'll be FOWLR to start off with. The lights I looked at at the LFS were all $180-$200. Is there any way to do this more economically?

I know artificial cycling products can be a good tool to get a tank's nitrate cycle started but I've also heard that they can be pretty controversial as they may use sub-par bacteria, etc. What are your guys' opinion on cycle?

Anyways, I look forward to reading and eventually giving advice on this forum. :grin:

I've heard about people converting filters like the AquaClear model for 70 or 120 gallon tanks to refugiums. I'm hoping the extra filtration will create a sufficient current such that I won't need a power head. Is that possible?

This is probably ok for a FOWLR but when you have a reef you will need more flow depending on what type of coral you keep.

I'm also looking for an economical way to give my tank reef-ready lighting since I definitely eventually want to have some corals, even though it'll be FOWLR to start off with. The lights I looked at at the LFS were all $180-$200. Is there any way to do this more economically?

There are ways to get the lights a little cheaper but when push comes to shove the lights are going to be expensive. I would suggest not shopping for lights at your LFS. They usually put the price up pretty high. Compare the price to fixtures on the internet. If you are handy there are a few DIY options for lights that will help you cut cost a bit. LEDs are the lights of the future for tanks that size. They might be a little expensive up front but they will save you money in the long run.

If by artificial cycling products you mean those bottles of bacteria that advertise to jump start your cycle in a couple days i wouldn't waste your money. They may help a little but i doubt they have much live bacteria in them at all. With a little planning you can do a fish-less cycle that will be ready by the time you are ready to start buying fish. Go to the articles section and read up on a fishless cycle.

Reef lighting is generally pretty expensive but you can shop around and occasionally find good deals. Ebay is a good source sometimes and I have heard good things about fishneedit.com. Ultimately if you want top quality lighting you will have to pay for it.

Like pat8you said, the "quickstart" bottled bacteria aren't very useful at all. Here's an article on fish-less cycling : Cycle your salt tank.

Welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom